How scary is an abnormal pap smear?

I am kind of freaking out- ok, not kind of. Dr's office called because when I got my PAP at the beginning of my pregnancy, they got abnormal cell results. I have to have a colpopscopy done at the end of the month. How freaked out should I be? Is it always something or could it be ok? I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown, so I need some help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Health

• It most likely means you have pre-cervical cancer. Emphasis on "pre." Don't freak out. You will just have to have the abnormal cells frozen off before they have the chance to turn into cancer. They do that in the doctor's office. I would advise having someone drive you because you might not feel like driving yourself after it's done.

My first cousin had pre-cervical cancer and the freeze done while pregnant. Everything was fine.

My sister has had to have pre-cervical cancer cells frozen off 2 times now (each incident was 13 years apart).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I've had an abnormal pap a couple of times. It is fairly common to have abnormal paps during pregnancy because of all the hormonal and physical changes going on. I wouldn't get overly stressed about it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would refuse the colp. I have had a few abnormals, nothing wrong with me. It is normal to have an abnormal. I can be due to any number of things. Many OBGYNs will just retest you in 6 months and if it is still abnormal do something then.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009