Does anyone know about "mixed classes"??

My daughter is going into the 5th grade this year. She has to transfer from a private scholl into a public school and I just found out that they put her in a mixed class which means the teacher teaches both 4th graders and 5th graders together. I don't like that becasue I think she is going to fall behind. I don't understand why they wouldn't just hire another teacher if they don't have enough teachers to teach. Our public schools are bad enough as it is...now this???!!!

Sheila_la121

Asked by Sheila_la121 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids have been in multiage classrooms as well as single grade classrooms. There are benefits to both scenarios. I haven't seen their academics suffer in the years they have been in multiage classrooms. There are always a range of abilities and levels even in single grade classrooms, and teachers are equipped to handle that.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• There were always multi-grade classrooms in my school due to class numbers. My year always had about 34-38 kids in it. Depending on how many kids were in other years they'd either take the 6 or so kids at the top of the year and put them in a class with kids from the year above or take the bottom 6 or so kids and put them with a lower grade level. They used the text books and such for their grade level but it meant they could do the easier projects of the year below or the harder ones of the year above depending on ability. In some ways it's better because it means kids can be split up a bit by ability as well as by age which benefits everyone.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• She is not going to fall behind. A mixed class is usually because the lower grade is doing work inbetween the lower grade and the higher grade or the higher grade is doing work between the two grades. If you have questions about it, talk to the teacher or principal, that would be your best bet.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I've been in them because of class size issues. When I was in 2nd grade we had too many kids for 1 class room but not enough to justify hiring another 2nd grade teacher. So they put half of us in a room with half the 1st graders. Worked just fine. Each grade was taught at their level either at the same time or during rotating sections. So when the 1st graders were having math the 2nd graders were doing quiet English work and vice-versa.
    I had the same thing happen the next year except we were mixed with the grade above. There were only like 10 4th graders though and they were on one side of the room and the 3rd graders were on the other. Worked out fine. That was at a Catholic school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I've never heard of this. Sounds like a lot of extra work for the teacher.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son is in a class with 3rd/4th graders this year. All of the kids in there have been identified AG through testing and identified as independent learners by previous teachers. It's a smaller class with 2 certified teachers and I'm thrilled. Both classes are hardly ever in the classroom at the same time - the 4th graders from their class go to another class for specials (PE, art, music, etc), lunch, recess, science and social studies. And then their teacher teaches them while the 3rd graders are at special, lunch, recess, science and social studies with other 3rd grade classes. The only thing they are in there together for is independent work time, snack, and AG extension time. He's doing really well and getting a lot of extra focus this year. I love it!

Answer by missanc at 8:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We had a split class at school last year... it was that there just weren't enough kids in either grade to justify hiring another teacher! There were only 9 and 10 of each grade, so the class was smaller than the others classes in the school.

Kids in the class my daughter was in were picked by hand as strong, independent, self directed learners. Being in that situation only reinforced that quality for the kids! The teacher still taught as much, but because the kids are strong, fast learners, they didn't have the "dumb the class down" issue (sorry for the non-PC term there)... that's where kids really end up suffering.

My daughter did awesomely! She loved it, and loved the "peer assistance" she got to do... very good for self confidence! She ran all A's and is doing just as well, if not better, this year!
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 4:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• They are doing this because they are "Capped-Out" at her school (which means they are at the allowable limit of students) Since my daughter is new, they throw her into that class. I don't think I would mind as much if she were going into a classroom with the grade above hers. Instead she is going to be with a grade that she already completed at a private school. Not to mention, she was a straight A student. I think they need to suck it up and hire more teachers. end of story. Our public school system is nothing to brag about and I feel that they are making it worse. Maybe they need to start asking parents to pay a tuition every year...who knows. But they need to do something...

Sheila_la121

Answer by Sheila_la121 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009