I need advice, starting a new relationship...

Ok. I am a single parent (technically, legal guardian) to my niece and nephew. I have had my niece for over seven years (she is now 13) and my nephew for about a year and a half (he is 5). Anyway. I was 20 when I first got Chelsea and after becoming her guardian I put dating on hold.

But I have recently just met a guy, I really like him, but I feel soooo nervous. Are these nerves normal? He is such a nice guy, he knows about the kids and we are being responsible in that he is not going to meet them in a while.

I need to do this. I need to date, but how do I calm the butterflies? How do I learn to not feel guilty for going out on dates? Any advice would be great, thanks.

Sharon

mommyaunt412

Asked by mommyaunt412 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• taking care of you and enjoying yourself helps balance the responsibility of caring for them. It's all good. As for butterflies, just enjoy them. I still get them after 3 yrs when SO emails or IMs or walks in the door.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Your feelings are perfectly normal. Remember in the old King and I how the teacher was nervous and whistled a happy tune? She found that if she behaved as though she was confident that she would be. So tell yourself that you are confident. Breathe out slowly and feel yourself relax and become peaceful. Another idea is to imagine ahead of time all of the possible problems that might happen and how you'll solve them, then you won't have anything to worry about. Head up! Smile! Breathe! You are woman hear you roar!!!! LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 2:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You shouldn't feel guilty about going out on a date! I know it's hard to do at times, but you need to take care of yourself as well as the children. If you have no time to relax and enjoy yourseld, and you never allow yourself a chance for a relationship then you won't be happy. Your neice and nephew will pick up on that as well. Go out and have fun!!!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 2:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Ok. This is helping. Thanks ladies!
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Enjoy the butterflies! You don't necessarily get to feel that way after you've gotten to know the guy. There is nothing like the feelings you get with a new relationship. I'd only be nervous if he wasn't a nice guy.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009