What can i do for my 1 month old infant that is constipated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he is formula fed, switch to enfamil gentlease or similac sensitive. both formulas are less constipating. mix the formulas EXACTLY as directed. never add cereal or pack in extra formula ever EVER. if he is breastfed and constipated, talk to your doctor. Also, you might want to rethink "constipation". a baby who goes infrequently may not necessarily be constipated. it is the quality of poo NOT the quantity that means a baby is constipated. if the poo is firm and formed at this point then it is constipation. all babies turn red and grunt when they poo. if he cries like it hurts then it's probably constipation. do not give a one month old juice, water, or medicine unless directed by your doctor.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My son had severe constipation - I agree with above poster - I did end up having to give my son suppositories but I wouldn't do that without checking with your doctor. And it also depends on the severirty of the constipation
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• well i know that when i tell you this, there are going to mom's on here who think imma a bad mom...and tell what i did was wrong...but who cares...bcuz that is there opinion...but anywho...we always gave my daughter DARK KAYRO syrup in her bottles to let her poop if she was constipated...just a lil blob...but that was at 2months bcuz she was bf the first month but i didnt produce enough milk for her...she was a big baby to begin with...and i gave her ceral bottles with dark kayro syrup in them every other day...she is 1years old now and she is doin just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Are you sure that he/she is constipated? If its only been a couple days he/she probably isn't. But you can give he/she gerber baby pear juice or apple juice just about 2 oz. Thats what I did with my daughter.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 2:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• DON'T EVER, EVER, EVER give your child Karo syrup!! It can give them botulism!!!! Also, if you start giving it to relieve said consitpation, the body gets used to that and can force the body to become dependent upon the Karo syrup to have a bowel movement at all! Try running warm water and holding baby with knee's pressed to chest. Hold bottom in warm water for about 8-10 min. This will naturally help relieve!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Do NOT switch formula if FFing...do NOT give water or juice at that age...odds are he's NOT constipated...babies that young don't have full control over their sphincter and will strain a LOT...this can go on for months...the only way to tell if he is truly constipated is if the poops are very small hard and pellet like....if he's straining that does not indicate constipation. Please talk to your pedi before trying anything. Also, Breastfed AND formula fed babies can go MANY times a day or go MANY days without going....good luck...you can try bicycling his legs and maybe it'll make it easier.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• This very much depends on his symptoms, and your definition of constipation. Constipation in infants is dry, hard, pellet like poops. To give the best advice, we'd need to know what his diet is, and why you think he is constipated, the last time he pooped, and what the poop was like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My daughter is just fine from having dark kayro syrup in her bottles. she has her own bowel movements with out the kayro syrup and is not DEPENEDENT on it...so idk why there r moms out there that think they know everything. but you can do what like. i know a lot of mexicans and native americans that give their child kayro syrup and their children are just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Anon 5:46, the moms who you say think they know everything, probably just researched karo syrup. All you have to do is go to their website and it says, plain as day, that it is not intended for infants, and carries a slight risk of carrying botulism spores. Your kid may be fine, and this one and that one, but I'm not taking the chance of my kid being the one that it affects negatively.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Anon 4:46, I didn't say ALL babies are dependent on Karo syrup, I said it CAN happen. Why did you post anonymous? Can't back up your statments?
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009