My 11-year old son says his ankle still hurts after football practice. Is there anything that I can do? It only swells up a little after his practice but appears ok in the morning.

momofthomas

Asked by momofthomas at 2:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Have him elevate it after practice. Try icing it, or alternating with ice and heat. For heat fill an old sock with rice and microwave for 15-30 seconds or so (be careful it can get really hot) You can also wrap the ankle in an ace bandage to help with the swelling.

It's a good idea to talk to the doctor anyway, just incase it's a more serious injury.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'd check with a Dr to rule out anything serious, and they should be able to give you some ideas of how to treat the swelling or to help prevent it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• All the doc is going to tell you to do is to ice, elevate and rest it. Wrap it with an Ace Bandage while he is playing. My son has ankle and leg issues during baseball and that is the advice from the doctor, a sports medicine doctor. If it bothers him a lot or he can't walk afterwards, then see a doctor. Oh and Advil to help with pain and swelling, NOT Tylenol, it doesn't work as good for the swelling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree w/ tyfry. However, if it doesn't get any better any time soon, you might consider getting it checked out anyway. He could have arthritis and need to be on something daily for anti-inflamatory. That's what advil is, OTC anti-inflamatory. That's why it helps w/ the swelling and tylenol doesn't. Hope he's doing well soon.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• So I took him to the doctor and it was a sprain. I had it X-rayed and the radiologist said no broken bones. whew...thanks for all your answers moms!
    momofthomas

Answer by momofthomas at 10:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• for that kinda injury the acromyn is RICE --rest, ice it, compress and elevate!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2009