how fast do toddler feet grow?

my 16 month old has been fitting comfortable in size 3, sometimes size 4 (depends on the shoe, brand, etc) for a while now. I went shoe shopping for cold weather shoes, and found a cute pair of sneakers, but they are a size 5. They are a little big on him, so I wont have him wear them till they fit... Once I bought them I realized he probably wont fit into them during the cold months but I don't know...I didnt exactly waste money, i mean they were only $3, but how fast on average, do toddler feet grow? It gets so confusing shoe shopping for him. I found some pedi peds which fit him, but he runs around so much outside they probably wouldn't last.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Varies by child and over time. My son is 2 and I have typically been getting his feet measured every 3 months or so. he usually goes up a half size or a whole size. However, he jumped from a 6 1/2 to an 8 in one three month period! I almost fell off my chair! Going from a 3 or 4 up to a 5 is still probably a 4-6 month time period unless you get a really big growth spurt. At $3, i'd have bought them too and hoped for the best, particularly with sneakers which can be worn almost all year.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• at the speed of light! LOL!

The beginning of the summer, my son was a 5.5. Now, he is an 8.5!!! His toes started to go over the edge of his sandle overnight it seems, and when I got him measured, I figured out it was because they were a size too small!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Very quickly. My son was in a size 4 at the beginning of summer (14 months), he now wears a size 5 1/2 or 6 (16 months). I buy them used because he outgrows them so quickly.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• At the beginning of summer, we bought my daughter (who is now 18.5 months) size 5 sandals.. and she is now wearing size 6 and sometimes 7, depending on the shoe. And its only been a few months. But she was in size 5s for a long time.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 4:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Growth spurts are unpredictable; they can be in one size for months and then almost skip the next size entirely. My DD was changing sizes every couple of months from about 10 - 16 months, but she only went up one size from 16 to 22 months. I try not to buy too many of any one size.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My DD has huge feet. She is 20 months and I bought all her sandals at the begining of summer in a size 7, which was a little big at first. About two weeks ago I could not put them on her anymore and bought her a few new ones in size 8 to finish the summer. Because her feet grow so fast I wait untill she needs shoes and then buy them. I never buy her shoes in advance.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would guess that it won't be long at all until your son is wearing those shoes. Kids' feet grow pretty darn quickly. My kids usually go up a size or two during each season.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I bet he wears them soon. Size 4 is pretty small for that age, I think he's due to grow soon.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009