What happens next?

I am having problems with my insurance company over a bill for my ultrasound. The hospital keeps sending me a bill and the insurance company keeps telling me I don't owe the money (it's $700). The insurance company is supposedly sending out the information that states the explaination of benefits and the negotaiated amount, but for some reason the hospital is not receiving this information. The bill I got today said if I do not pay in 15 days, then they are going to a collection agency which means it will hit my credit. I called the insurance company and they said they talked to someone and are resending the information for the 3rd time. What happens if it goes to a collection agency? Am I just screwed? Can I still report it to my insurance company?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• you need to call the hospital and talk to their billing department.

if they send it to collections you should have 30 days to inform the collection agency in writing that the bill should be taken care of.

if those two don't work it will negatively affect your credit
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Nothing happens. If you don't owe them the money and the insurance company has in fact paid the hospital then you will be able to take the hospital to court for harassment.
    Call your insurance company back, ask them to mail proof of payment.

You need to know your legal rights. The hospital cannot harass you for money you do not owe. It doesn't matter what you signed saying you would pay if the insurance company did not. They cannot continue to call you, they have to call your insurance company and harass them.
    I went through something similar and the STATE of Maine took the collector to court for me.
    Take that bill and write on it PAID underline it twice and mail it back.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 3:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009