Fast nipple?

Why switch from a slow nipple to a fast? When I was pumping my nipples didn't have different settings.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With breastfeeding, babies can control how much they get and how fast by how they suck. With bottles, they don't have as much control. When they start sucking too hard for a slow-flow nipple, the nipple can collapse and make the baby frustrated because they aren't getting anything out and they can consequently swallow more air and get more gas because of that. And on the other side of that, if the baby is using a nipple that's too fast for them, milk can go everywhere and can gag them, and that can also lead to more gas because they're having to suck so fast to get it down. They do make variable-flow nipples which are supposed to be more like breastfeeding in the baby controls how much they get by their sucking.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• B/C as they grow and eat more a faster nipple seems to work better for most babies b/c they can get more of an amount as they drink, not having to sip.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I never switched nipples. I don't think you have to.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2009