What to expect at 12-month appointment?

I know he'll be getting some shots. I'm just wondering how did your baby react to them? Same as the other ones??

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd just had her 12month appt on her bday last wednesday...and they checked her weight, temp, length, and head size. then the nurse pricked her lil finger to get 2viles of blood for lead testing. that took forever..like 10mins and she hated that. then the doc came in and just checked her over...and my daughter got scared when he put the thesocope (sp?) on her bcuz she thought he was gonna hurt her like the nurse did, and he just checked everything out on her and then the nurse came back in and gave her 4shots. which he did one at a time but fast...i wished they had more nurses workin that day so they could of at least did 2shots at one time...and she cried bcuz of the shots and the nurse holdin her down...but after that she was fine.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yeah, same as all the other shots. Be prepared, though - after 12 months was when my toddler started remembering what happens, so at the 15-month appointment he started freaking out as soon as I put him down on the exam table, and he did that again at 18 and 24 months.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Be sure to give him Tylenol about 30 minutes before you go to help with the pain from the shots. Also, As PP said, they do start remembering the shots at this appointment. He screamed bloody murder afterwards, but the SECOND we stepped into the hall, he stopped. At the 15 months appt, he remembered, and same thing happened. The 18 months appt wasn't bad. And at the 2 y/o appt, he didn't have to have shots. No more until age 4. He'll have an exam at 3 y/o and flu shots in the fall, but no more vacs until age 4.

Also, other than the shots, they'll ask you questions about eating, development, problems, etc. Do weight, height, head circ. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my dd got her blood check for anemia and lead levels
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my ds just got 2 shots, i refused 2 of them, and got check over. they did his blood tests at 9mo. i gave him tylenol when we got home and was fussy. he usually doesn't do too bad w/ shots. i did have to hold his hands so he wouldn't try to pull the needle out.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009