bitting

my son is one and he is constantly bitting people mainly me and DH what can i do to get him to stop?

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 3:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unpopular answer here:

My son wouldnt stop biting...so I bit him back, fairly hard, hard enough that he could feel the pain....it only took ONE bite....and he NEVER opened his mouth up again.

I was fed up, he kept biting his BABY sister, and I had tried everything. I was tired of seeing my littlest one in pain....so I bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• This may sound super mean but it worked my son also started biting it took one time for me to do this enough to get his attention and he never bit again. but i thumped him in his mouth kinda like putting your finger in his mouth i got the fatty part of his cheeks never got his lips to teeth type thing anyway i did it once he looked at me like i just broke him in half and never bit again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• DO NOT BITE HIM BACK!!

Personal experience here:

I was told to bite back. I was told that was the only way she would know that it hurt to be biten. It was winter and she was wearing a sweatshirt. She bit me so hard that I actually screamed out. So I took her arm and bit making sure to bite not hard, but so that she could feel through her sweatshirt sleeve. She had the more horrid bruise from that bite. She never bit again, but it was not worth it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My daughter did that once and my child is the type that gets her feelings hurt if another adult tells her shes wrong. So I told the kid parent who she bit to tell her how wrong she was and how much it hurts another person. My child was so disappointed in herself that she never did that again and now she tells other kids that its not nice to bite.
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 3:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Understand that at this age, it's not an action on the child childs part, for the most part. They react, just as they might respond to happiness with a hug. It's just a response. You can use time out, pop his mouth, hand, bottom, bite back, etc. But until he's older, it will most liekly continue. He doesn't always have time to think thorugh is actions. Some will bite when teething, so if he's in pain alreayd and something grabs his attention, he may just bite then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Im going through the same thing with my 14 month old. He is teething, getting his eye teeth and having the worse time with them. Worse than all of his other 12 teeth combined. I try to make sure there is always something on hand that he CAN bite. He has a blankie so that is a great substitute for my arm or shoulder. At this age I really dont think punishment will work, especially if its due to teething. They are just trying to make the pain stop.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 5:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009