Has your kids ever had a/cavities?

I have been taking my kids to the dentist for the past 2 yrs. and just recently found out my 6 yr. old girl has two cavities :(

I was like how could this had happened? Anyway she was a big girl about it I have been talking to her as the day came closer (she was alittle scared) but everything turned out just fine, not she's like telling her bigger brothers that she is the tough one when it comes to needles...lol (my two boys cried...lol when it came to shots...lol) My question is...Why did they had to give her on shots just to fill her cavities ( I understand so the cavity can stop on it's tracks) but those are her baby teeth...or are they? One was on her top back teeth and the other was on her bottom back teeth. I asked but didn't seem to get the answer I wanted they were so busy.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My children haven't had any cavities yet, but I'm very very very strict about brushing their teeth, because nobody made me take care of mine when I was little.
    Were they giving her a shot of novacaine? Also cavities in baby teeth can follow into permanent teeth if not properly taken care of so thats why the denist fixed her tooth. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you if those were her baby teeth or her permanent teeth, just look in her mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Anyone can get cavities, even those that are anal about brushing. The worst thing to eat that causes cavities, even after brushing, are fruit snacks of any kind. The fruit snacks are very sticky and the sugar just sits on the teeth. As for the shots, it is Novacaine to numb the mouth so they don't feel the drill that is drilling out the cavitity. That HURTS. You want her to have the Novacaine shots or she will be screaming because the pain is horrible without the Novacaine. I had a cavity filled before the Novacaine took affect and it HURT. My jaw and mouth hurt for days after. A child with a cavity doesn't mean they eat junk food, don't brush, etc Some people are just prone to cavities. Baby teeth are filled because the tooth could rot and cause gum damage.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• From the first days my first baby was born I was washing down her gums and then each tooth as they came in. Each baby I did this. They kept getting cavities no matter how well they brushed and no matter how little sugar they ate.
    Turns out they have poor enamel growth! no matter what they will get cavities.
    I have an ex bf, who has all his teeth and zero cavities, he is 48 yrs old and hasn't brushed his teeth in decades. Sugar is not in his diet.
    Too each his own, every person is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009