Does anyone have a child with severe speech delays?+

My son is 13 and talks more like a child around 6 or 7. For the first time his teachers told me they can't understand him. I am at a loss as his speech therphist thinks its more then what she normally deals with.

His tongue is very short and early on was suggested to get it clipped but seems to be debate on it. Does anyone have clipping stories good or bad? Any idea what it costs out of pocket or is there a way to get it covered under medical insurance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont have any clipping stories. But if you are going to clip his tongue to help his speech you better hurry up and get it done! He's going to have problems the rest of his life speaking correctly IF that really is his problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My tongue was clipped when I was a baby, my dd's was done at 6 months, my grandson's was done at 2 days, my granddaughter's was done at 2 days. I"m surprised they didn't do it in the hospital when he was born. I'm not sure about doing it at this age. I'm sure they can do it, but my question is why didn't they suggest it sooner? I know all of ours was covered by insurance.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My niece had her tongue clipped over the summer. She is 8. I can't tell any difference in her speech yet, but hopefully it will improve. I agree w/ the 1st annon though - if it needs to be done the sooner the better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Tongue clipping in our area apparently is rare. He had trouble nursing. The dentist mentioned it early on and made it seem like no big deal to get it done when he was 7 or 8 if it didn't improve. Fast forward to 3-4 years ago I had two Speech therphist agreeing it would probably help and his doctor willing to sign off on what ever the ENT says. So go to the ENT and my son was tried of doctors (he has alot of medical issues) and my son knew what they were looking for. He did the execrises like the doctor asked but with so much effort. The dr. never took it into account. He can't spend his life focusing with all his strength to lift his tongue up to make a sound. It's sad we all taking talking for granted & he loves it but struggles to do it.

I had his SLP approach me about getting him evaluated again. So that is what I am working on. Just can't believe how hard it is to find someone who will even consider doing it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Why have you waited so long? If it can still be done, then get it done. He will have speech problems the rest of his life now. Find another doctor that will do what is needed to help your son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My question is why this has been going on for so long? What does your doctor suggest? It could be more then a tongue issue. My son a cleft of the soft palate. It is repaired but he is still difficult to understand. Have an ENT take a look.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Are you sure it has to do with his tongue being tied?

I have never had any speech delays or problems and I am tongue tied same with my son.. they worried about him having problems with his speech but he's fine so far..

But if it is a problem with being tongue tied it should have been done long ago as others have said the longer you wait the worse it will be.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009