Should i attempt the cio method on my 11 month old to wean her from the night time nursing?

Sometimes I feel like I get only 6 hrs a night of sleep. She'llwake up and nurse usually twice a night. shouldn't she not be nursing in the middle of the night by this age?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hmmm. well, i dont have a problem with CIO if it's past the first year. ...so you're almost there.

i wish i could help you. but i dont really have an answer. sorry.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• babies at that age should be able to sleep during the night. they get all the calories they need during the day. you can cio but if that bothers you, first you might try just making each feeding a lil less each time till she doesnt need it anymore. i read somewhere to make night feeding as undesirable as possible bc then baby doesnt really want to wake up for it. it seemed to work with my LO. good luck.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No, If you don't want to night time nurse switch her to a bottle, pump your bottles for night time only. That's just my suggestion
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No... for some babies it is normal most of mine still woke to nurse until way past 1 year. Do you co-sleep that might help you sleep better.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 3:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Is she eating more solids than breastmilk?

If not than no, the breast is the main source of nutrients for her, but if she eats alot of table food, she should be able to sleep through the night with just one feeding during the night but this is just average info and each baby is different. She could be doing it for bonding time or comfort and not really be hungry, but only you would know that, you know here better than any of us. I hope some other moms have some helpful advise for you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• DD started sleeping through the the night at 3 months. I would say that, no, 11 months is too old to be waking up to feed...especially twice. Since breastfeeding doesn't seem to keeping her full and satisfied through the night, maybe give her some kind of snack (Goldfish crackers maybe) before bed to help keep her little stomach full through the night.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Night weaning does not mean she'll sleep more. Some babies still need to nurse at night. My 20 month old does.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

I agree even after my kids weaned they still woke 2-3 times a night my 21/2 year old is just now sleeping through the night. Two of my others didn't sleep through the night until well over 3 years.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 3:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Why dont you just put her in bed with you and nurse her there when she wakes up? I got more sleep doing that than any other way.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 3:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You're getting six hours? Then she's sleeping though the night...that's a mere FIVE hours. If you get more than that you're DARNED lucky!

Let DAD handle the wakeup duty. But weaning DOES NOT mean sleeping.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009