How is this possible?

Im 36wkd 3d an i went to the doctor today an they told me the baby is going to be about 9lbs! Ive only gained 9lbs this whole pregnancy so how am i gonna have a 9lb baby!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How did they come up with that??
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 3:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• u/s are never right it's just an educated guess i wouldnt believe them lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I was under my pre-pregnancy weight when I delivered both my kids, that doesnt mean that I was having a baby that didnt weigh anything! Do you think the mommy's that gain 25 pounds had 25 pound babies? Our weight gain (or loss) doesnt mean anything!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Some people just have big babies! lol As far as the weight gain. I actually weighed less at 41 wks than I did before I got pregnant. Some woman just can't really gain while they are pregnant.

But hey it's less weight to loss post partum!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'd take that estimate with a grain of salt. Weight estimates are ridiculously OFF...way off...especially in the third trimester. Don't let that twit scare you.

There are countless reports right here on cafemom of mothers being told their babies would be 10lbs and the end up with pre-term babies of 6lbs because they were talked into an induction.

And you know....9lbs isn't necessarily BIG. Heavy in comparison to a 6lb baby..yes...but not big. some lighter babies are built like linebackers, and some heavier babies are built like mini torpedos. You can easily give birth to a heavy baby. Their heads mold, your pelvis expands, and if you give birth NOT lying on your back in a natural birthing position your pelvic outlet is bigger by 33%. Not being rushed or having yoru labor induced also increases the east of giving birth to a perfectly normal sized baby (8 and 9 lbs IS perfectly normal).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If it was by ultra sound or by Drs guess they can be way off, but it is possible because the baby is taking what it needs from you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree with amileegirl... 100%!
    9lbs seems like a big baby, but it's really not all THAT big, and I promise you, you can birth that baby.
    I was told my son was only going to be about 6-ish lbs...he was just a few ounces away from being 8lbs---and I had NO trouble at ALL birthing him, and I'm kind of a small person, lol.

You can do it Momma, don't scare yourself (and don't let any body else scare you for that matter!)
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• your overall weight may be 9 lbs greater than your pre pregnancy weight, but it's possible that YOU have lost weight while baby, placenta, and fluids have gained.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009