What to do if I feel my Cat is dehydrated?

My Young Cat is ill. He isn't doing much! Has a stuffed up plugged nose. Doesn't like it cleaned. But tries to purr. we have no current Vet. None in our Town. Nor can we afford to take him in since we're unemployed. How can I get him enough fluids? He was in back in June for normal stuff at the vet. But its too costly. He's fixed with the current shots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pets

• If you are really worried about dehydration give him a small bowl of cows milk - if he drinks that then he's okay enough to eat soft food and drink water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You could try to spoonfeed him water if he is docile. Tilt his head slightly sideways and slowly ease the spoonful of water into his mouth through his teeth, he will swallow. Sounds odd but it works. You don't have to hold his mouth open. You can also get him some canned food and add water making it a slurry is another idea if the spoon idea is insanely out of the question. These have both worked to get extra liquids into animals needing some hydrating. In my experience cats are more sensitive than dogs to medicines there really isn't anything over the counter I recommend.

I can understand the financial situation, however if he has something worse than a case of the kitty sniffles the liquids will only do so much.
    Ewalani

Answer by Ewalani at 3:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• wet food has more than enough liquid for a cat to live off
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If your cat has a plugged nose and is dehydrated then you should try giving him tuna water, just drain the water out of a tuna can (make sure it's the water and not oil). My mothers cat was sick a couple years back and the vet recommended we do this and it worked great. When a cat has a plugged nose they often do not want to drink because they can not smell but since tuna water has a strong Oder then they will drink. Good luck and I hope your cat gets hydrated.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2009