cow milk??

My BIL's wife gives cow milk to her 5 month old little boy. I was in shock when I saw her fedding him with cow milk. How safe is it? Isn't harmful for the baby specially being so little? How can I approach to her to let her know if it's bad for the baby. BTW, he drinks 9 oz of milk, per fedding. PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cows milk alone does not have the nutrients needed for a baby to grow. Besides it doing potential harm to his digestive system, it does not have the calories and nutrients that formula has added to it and that breast milk had naturally.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• !!!!! Giving cows milk to a child that young is NOT safe. Cows milk in children under 12 months can cause all sorts of problems. Especially later in life.
    Does he get any formula or BM? i know this is going to sound really sad but unless her doctor told her to do it I would let her know that she needs to stop.
    Do your research on it and then give that to her. Don't use kid gloves. She needs to get how serious this is. It's one thing if the child is 11 months and she's mixing half formula (or BM) and half Cows milk. But at 5 months? Sorry but to me that' child abuse.

Now just so you know some doctors do say that it's ok to mix a couple ounces in with their regular source of liquid. My current pedi said that if I wanted to I could have started giving my youngest (he's 8 months) cows milk. But ONLY in small portions. 9 ounces at a feeding is too much. Frankly at his age I think 9 ounces of cow milk a DAY is too much.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• DID YOU ASK HER WHY SHE DOES THAT? SOME BABIES HAVE ALLERGIES EVEN TO THE SPECIAL FORMULAS THEY HAVE OUT THERE. GRANTED 5 MONTHS IS A LIL YOUNG BUT THE BABIES HEALTH COULD BE AN ISSUE AS TO WHY. YOU JUST DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON UNTIL YOU GET THE FACTS, MAYBE ITS CUT WITH FORMULA OR GOATS MILK OR MAYBE IT IS JUST HOW SHE WAS BROUGHT UP. TALK TO HER BEFORE YOU FLIP OUT AND JUMP TO ANY CONCLUSIONS. AFTER ALL GET THE FACTS AND TALK TO HER ITS NOT LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO BE A BITCH TO HER YOU JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ALL IS WELL WITH THE BABY.
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• SORRY ALL MY CAPS IS STUCK CO I AM NOT YELLING HONEST
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• you should just come straight out and tell her. you're not supposed to feed that to them till they're 12months.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't assume anything, try to ask her nicely why she decided to feed her child cow's milk at such a young age, perhaps her doctor recommended it to her?

Also, are you sure it was cow's milk? Even if you saw them pouring it maybe they make a days worth of formula at once and mix it in a milk container so they can just pour it straight into the bottle instead of having to mix it every time.

I wouldn't assume anything, I would ask her first. If you come at her like you're attacking her she might stop wanting to be around you anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• THE THING IS THAT THEY WERE VISITING ME, BECAUSE I JUST HAD MY BABY, AND SHE ASKED ME IF SHE COULD HAVE SOME MILK. AND SINCE I'M BREAST FEDDING I DON'T HAVE ANY FORMULA, SO SHE WENT AHEAD AND GRABBED THE MILK FROM MY FRIDGE. But she doesn't like to listen to my advices, I don't think she really likes me. So probably I'll tell my DH to tell his brother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If it was at your house than that's a little different. You don't know that she does it all the time. If she's hard to talk to then yes I'd definately ask "dad". However Wrong it may be to give a baby cows milk if it was just that once I wouldn't worry.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2009