I want there to be a God, Do you?

There are more and more that seem more comfortable living without religion and believeing that God does not exist. I want to understand why? I want there to be a God. I feel that there is a God. Do you?

This is ment for every believer in God (all religions) and Non believers to answer.

Darlinree

Asked by Darlinree at 4:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Think about it though (not trying to change your mind or anything, but this is how I see it)....are you really feeling an actual god, or are you feeling emotions that you've conjured up yourself? For example, if I'm alone and I want my SO there, I can close my eyes and picture him and all the feelings I would have if we were being intimate...and I can actually get all the warm/fuzzy/loving feelings from it just like he was there, and it can make me feel better....but that doesn't mean he's there or even that he knows I'm thinking about him. It's all in my mind. I think it's the same thing with people who "feel" God. I think this is also why everyone who does believe thinks God is so wonderful and great and awesome....of course he is! Anything you conjure in your mind is going to be exactly the way you want it!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If you do believe in God, and end up finding out there isn't one, what do you have to lose? Nothing.
    If you don't believe in God, and end up finding out there in son, what do you have to lose? Eternal life in his kingdom.
    That's how I look at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sorry, typo. I meant "....there is one...." not "...there in son....."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I really hate Pascal's wager being used as a reason to believe in God.(aka the example anon gave if you believe for more than just that then fabulous but if it's the only reason you believe, Oy!) I don't believe in a god. Not the pagan gods, not the Christian god, none whatsoever. I find comfort knowing that this life is my one and only and as such I best treat it with respect and responsibility. The idea of a higher power is just inconceivable for me.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Personal beliefs.
    Thats all it really is.

Ive always felt a divine presence in my life even though I can easily explain most away with logical conclusions too. However, for me, I believe in the Divine while others dont see that.

I dont worry about why others believe as they do...to each their own. In the end, its not really gonna matter either way.

Either the Divine knows our hearts and wont punish accordingly or the Divine is not as loving as many teach and we are screwed OR there is no Divine and all is dark.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• "If you do believe in God, and end up finding out there isn't one, what do you have to lose? Nothing.
    That's how I look at it."

That is a sorry way to look at things, I think. I despise Pascal's wager as well. I think believing "just in case" is selfish and makes a mockery of whatever deity you're believing in. If you're going to follow a religion, you should do it with every fiber of your being, no holds barred.

I would like there to be a higher power as well, but I just can't get rid of my skepticism. I feel that religion is just a way to feel comfort and a way to scare people. I couldn't force myself to "believe" if I tried (and I did try for a very long time). When I gave up my belief, I felt as if a weight was lifted off my shoulders, and everything became clear. I've never been happier.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• To me, 'wanting' God to exist and actually believing in the existance of a God are not the same thing. I might WANT to believe a lot of things... I WANT to believe that I am going to win the lottery tomorrow but that doesn't mean I actually believe it!

I tend to be somewhat of a pantheist- not a believer in a personified deity, but a believer that we are part of something larger than ourselves, call it energy or the universe or whatever term you like. I didnt' choose to believe that- I just do becaues it feels right to me. Sometimes it might be nice to believe that there is a personified deity looking down on me, arranging things in life for me, listening to me and answering my specific prayers... but I can't decide that's a nice idea and thus I believe it, just like I can't make myself believe that chocolate is a vegetable. Nice if it was, but wanting to believe doesn't make it so.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes I want there to be a God also, and I personally dont see any way that there couldnt be one. But thats just the way I feel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I myself know that God is working in my life, and always have known since I was a child. I've never understood the idea of the big bang theory...never understood how a human could be formed from anything other than divine creation. Of course there is skepticism in anything, it's healthy to question what you believe in--it leads you to seek until you find the answers you are looking for.

I do agree with the above posters that the "what do you have to lose" way of thinking is flawed. If that is the only reason that you choose to believe in God, then you probably won't make it into Heaven anyway. I follow God because I feel his love and his presence, I see his beauty in everything, I want nothing more than to spend eternity in my Father's house. I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't want that, but I'm not them and am not here to judge them due to that fact.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No, and that's why I (the one who posted that,) do believe in God with every fiber in my being, and it would be absurd only to believe for that reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009