has anyone had a c-section and breastfed?

I found out today, due to a breech position, my baby is going to be born by C-section at the end up this month. Needless to say, I'm extremely nervous, and have a lot of concerns. One concern was...what kind of pain meds do you get prescribed after a c-section...and is it safe to breastfeed while on them? I would imagine after a surgery like that, you'd be prescribed narcotics, right?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was prescribed two pain meds....Tylenox and Ibuprofen. I wouldn't take the Tylenox because it made me feel crazy...literally....it made me wake up in cold sweats feeling all jittery and freaked out.....I was fine with the Ibuprofen.....it was the only thing that even eased up the pain at all, which, by the way, was way less to begin with than I imagined. I thought I'd be in horrible pain for ages, but it really was only bad immediately after before I even got home....after that it wasn't so bad. And I did breastfeed.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 4:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i had c section and breast fed just fine

planned c scetion is a whole different thing than emergency c section
    you will be fine to breast feed

baby could change his or her mind at the last minute - you never know

if you have any questions or concerns with c section, write me note, i will try to ease your mind

kat
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well first off, they can try to move the baby. Its not comfortable. But I was prescribed Oxycotin with my emergency c section. But never took anything. I did pump however.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I had a c-section for all 3 of my kids, and tried breastfeeding with the 1st. What I did was tell my doctor before the delivery that I was planning on breastfeeding. I forgot what meds he prescribed, but it was something that could be taken while breastfeeding.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Both my dd's had c-sections and both breastfed their children

Answer by admckenzie at 4:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Let your doctor know that you intend to breastfeed. They can advise you on how to deal with this. I don't remember exactly what they gave me, but I do know that my doctor said it was safe to BF.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009