how do i make a curriculum to homeschool my autistic son?

I want to homeschool, but need help putting his lessons together. he is 5, nonverbal on the level of a 18 month old. not potty trained. he knows his letters and 1-12. Our school district sucks and refuses to work me. im a stay at home mom. so if anyone has a website or advice to help me out that would be great!

AD23

Asked by AD23 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in

• If you don't have an education or experience in dealing with this my best advice is that you need help from professionals. Please don't attempt to this all on your own for your son's sake. Please do some research to look for programs that can help you help your son.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• his therapist said there was nothing wrong with me homeschooling him so long as he gets interaction. i have 13 nieces and nephews so he gets it. she says the job me and my husband does is awsome. plus the school doesnt have much to offer. i want to homeschool.
    AD23

Answer by AD23 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well, I'd get another therapist. Just from your post, it sounds like your son needs much more than just socialization. You can do what you want, but if you just take some advice from some website that intended for that information to be used by professionals or parents working with professionals, it's not going to help. Find him another therapist, if you have to go out of your state to get the help for your son.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• his therapist is awsome. i thank you for responding but i dont need someone telling me to find him help. he has help. i want to homeschool and want information for that.
    AD23

Answer by AD23 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My daughter is on the spectrum and I homeschooled her for the last 4 months of 1st grade. She is verbal but still gets speech therapy. She has sensory issues, behavior issues, and attention issues. Of course she has socialization issues. For us, it did not work out. She did not see me as her teacher after being in special ed since preschool. I could not get her to work. I became mom and disciplined her when she refused. The lack of socialization made things worse. We went to the park every day and saw our friends but it was not the same. The cirriculum was from the Virtual Academy of California. There are virtual academies in other states. There were no specific special ed classes, but it moves at the pace of the child.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 5:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• thank you jthor.
    AD23

Answer by AD23 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You might ask this question on the Happy Homeschoolers or Secular Homeschoolers group here on CM. There are many people who homeschool their autistic children because one-on-one attention from a loving adult works quite well. Many schools are not equipped to give the attention and care needed, especially with the budget cuts many schools are experiencing. 

You may also see what books you can find on Amazon.  I think I've seen a couple of books on homeschooling autistic children, but can't remember much about them. 

Good luck and take care.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• P.S. Legalmommy, the OP has had the education and experience of dealing with her child for the last five years. That makes her an expert of dealing with HER child. Both the OP and the OP's therapist know the child personally, you don't. I would take the TRAINED therapist's and the loving mother's advice over yours any day.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• wait, i thought that austism counted toward a disability, i have seen pre k and k classes of all kids on the spectrum, i thought that if the public school couldnt provide the learning environment needed for them to grow, they had to pay private school tution, which could also mean a home schooling curriculum, i have seen the calvert homeschool set and it is not bad, very basic, if you dont have a teaching background i would hook into a virtual school that will follow the standard for your state. best of luck to you as a teacher, i can tell you it can be the hardest thing ever to do but always the most rewarding.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I homeschool my kindergartener through the Calvert School and its awesome. Maybe you should check them out and get the placement test to see exactly which curriculum will suit him. They even have "special" placements. Good Luck!
    Oh and the website is www.Calvertschool.org
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009