My NINE yr old has huge breasts & almost as much pubic hair as I do...

Yes, that's right. Her body is changing so rapidly & I'm having a hard time dealing with it. Ugh. I saw my daughter naked the other day & I was shocked at what I saw. It's been awhile since i've seen her "down below" & I was surprised to see that she has just about as much pubic hair as I do, it's thick & dark. TMI, I know. & her breasts are so HUGE! Is this normal for a nine yr old? She wont be 10 until January. Does this mean her period is around the corner??? Yikes! Not ready for all of this right now, I'm only 26 myslef...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Puberty starts around 8 and girls develop faster than boys, so yeah, she might have her period around the corner. Its not that bad, I have a 17 year old so I know about not being ready for it, I am only 33
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• everyone is different , I hit puberty at a young age so i understand what shes gonig through. I have worn a real bra since the 3rd grade. Yes, i wouldnt be surprised if she does start her period ver soon.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 4:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yeap, once a girl starts getting pubic hair and breasts, her period is on it's way...usually within a year. There are many 9 year olds that get their periods. Ready or not, she is growing up and you need to get ready to deal with it. Get a book about puberty for her and read it together, answer any of her questions as best as possible and don't freak out (in front of her anyway). Keep the lines of communication open, she will have many more questions as her body changes, she has new feelings and she grows up. Best of luck, I have a boy so it is a bit easier. I do have 2 nieces to deal with on occasion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yep its just around the corner. and even if you arent ready for it youre going to have to start talking to her about her body and all the changes going through. I suggest you get a book for preteen girls learning about their body, read it, and talk to her about it and read it with her. its probably going to be awkward but it has to be done. my mom did it for me when i got my period at 9. gl
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes, you need to talk to her, but it's just a part of growing up for her, and you "growing" as a parent of a tween. Don't make her feel uncomfortable about her body, and let her know that she can talk to you about anything. Try to find an age-appropriate book to give her that you and she both can go thru together. Again, it's just normal. PS-Is she wearing a bra, because she may need to, and you can make it a fun "Mommy & Me" shopping experience in honor of her "maturity". Good luck, Mama!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Oh my! I can only imagine what your going through. My 9 year old still looks like a little girl, i think I would cry my eyes out if she developed so soon. To answer your question, yes I think her period is around the corner. I started to grow breast at the age of 10 and pubic hair at the age of 12 and then I started my period two weeks before my 13th birthday. So its close for your daughter. GL hun! I feel for you!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Wow! I cant even imagine going thru that. Im the same age but my daughter wont be nine or ten for another 7-8 yrs. I guess u should take her give her the talk and go shopping for the bras and feminine products already ,she sounds like she becoming a young lady.
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 5:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Puberty is starting earlier and earlier these days...many think its due to all the hormones and other sh*t they are putting in our food and meat but who really knows. My little cousin started her period when she was 9 and no one could believe it. So its not uncommon at all unfortunately.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I got pubic hair at 9 and started my period at 11... buy her a book on puberty, it helped me a lot!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• mmm i started getting pubic hair at age 8, and started to develop breast when i was 10 but i didn't get my period until i was 12
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009