Does age affects on how you raise your children?

I think age doesn't affects on how you raise your children because if you mature enough you could handle everything I don't like when people says that young girls like me don't know how to take care of their own kids if they still are one.. What I have to say is that the age doesn't matter because out there they are so much criminal mothers that kill their kids and most of them are "GROWN WOMAN" I don;t have nothing against nobody is just my opinion we loved and take care our kids just like anyone else or better. Hope that who ever thinks so wrong like this could some day change their mind.

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I completely agree!! Im 19 and I take better care of my baby than some of the 30 year old moms i've seen! Age doesn't matter, but it does matter how mature you are.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think that as with most things, age is nothing but an artbitrary number.
    Now for the mom's about to bash me, with the, well what about statutory and blah blah blah....yes there does need to be limits for some legal issues, that goes without saying.

But no, I do not think that your age should be a judgement on what sort of parent you are.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think it does effect HOW you raise your children, I don't think it effects whether or not you will raise them well, though. I mean, being a younger (20) when my DD was born, I do things differently than if I were older when I had her. Doesn't mean I am doing them wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• In a way I think age does affect how you raise your children,I guess I speak from experience. I know for a fact I am a better mom now at age 26 than when I was 19. I wasnt a bad mom but I had a lot of help so i was able to go out and do what I wanted .Now that Im older and I dont have that...I see everything more different. I spend alot of time with my kids and when they are away a few hours I miss them. Like my eyes are open even more wider than ever! lol
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 5:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I also believe it does. I believe that children that are born to younger parents tend to grow up much faster than children of older parents. Younger parents may have the maturity but lack the education and knowledge on many things that may be beneficial to their children. The brain doesn't stop growing until about age 25, the brains of young adults lack the higher functioning in the prefrontal cortex. An area specific for reasoning, logic and complex long term decisions. I know a lot more with my second now, then when I had my first. Age really isn't just a number.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think it does too. I was 19 when I had my oldest and 33 when I had my fourth. SO yea I have been both! But when I was a younger mom I had more energy and patience I think with my son. As I had kids in my late 20's and early 30's I have learned a lot through experience. I dont have to call people all the time to see what I should do about this or that. I know now what to do whenmy child is sick and how to discipline them (most of the time) So there are benefits to both I think. Part of me not having as much patience could also be that I have 4 now and not one! lol I am a lot more laid back and less anal than I was when my oldest was a baby. But I think that comes with having more kids not age.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 5:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• of course it is different, you are a different person at 15, 25, 35 etc
    but a good mom is a good mom
    that does not change with age
    just as a bad mom is a bad mom
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Age does affect a lot. While it's true there are some 19 year old more mature than a few 30 year olds, this is not the majority. I don't care how much you've been through at 16 you cannot possibly be as mature at 16 as you will be at even 25 no matter what your life situation is. You need TIME to mature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I don't think it does. I would make the same choices for my child even if I was 30. Just because I'm only 17 doesn't mean I'm a bad mom. I believe that I am doing whats right for my child. I don't care what anyone thinks. I put cereal in her bottles. I fed her baby food early but I had the doctors orders to do so. I vaccinate. I also don't care what people say I am the best mother to my daughter that I can be. If people have a problem with that then look the other way because I am who I am.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 6:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well, the one advantage we oldsters have is that we've seen a lot more than younger parents. That experience can be very helpful and more stabilizing.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009