What can be done about these issues w/ my new cat?

I adopted a Cat from a local rescue group this weekend.. she is pretty fantastic except for two little things. 1. She will NOT drink from her bowl, she always wants to drink from the faucet or the bath tub! and, 2. she does that kneeding thing with her paws AND HER CLAWS when you are holding and petting her. It is kind of painful and freaks my kiddo out.

Any suggestions about what I can do for these issues??

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pets

• For the not drinking out of her bowl. I'm not sure. but for the kneeing thing you can by these cat claw covers from pet smart, that keeps them from scratching up furniture and you!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• oh cool!! I wonder how "easy" they are to put on lol
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My ds brought home a kitten last week and we got it a scratching post which we are constantly redirecting it to. It already has fleas, UGH! If it wasn't so darn cute....
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I bet it would be a pain since you would be trying to put them on a cat!

oh cool!! I wonder how "easy" they are to put on lol

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My moms cat is like that with the water. She got her cat on of those self cleaning water bowls that filters the water. It helped. Can't help with the other issue cause I have the same problem :)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• She drinks out of where ever she wants because cats like to find their own water source and will drink from multiple places and actually prefer too, so, she will more than likely continue, its a bit second nature to her. As for all the kneeding and such, well, she was a rescue cat, and the longer you keep loving on her the more that will settle down. Just keep petting and loving her and be easy when you tell her "no" and pull her claws gently back away from you. Good Luck
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 6:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Hello! Congrats to you! She sounds Sweet! She's just kneeding you 'cuz she needs you! Smile! I know! I have cats & they do that to calm themselves. It was how they relax with their mother & got their Breast Cat milk. Cats like Fresh water! Cool & fresh. You see the water gets dust, dirt & stuff in it. The bowl can get slimey. No one likes that! But I tell you with Love & patience. You will have A great Cat. Just love ,care & patience! She's new to your home & it takes time to know the ropes, the do's & the don'ts!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Get her declawed! I can't imagine trying to put "cat claw covers" on a cats nails! I think I would actually pay to see someone do this!
    She's "kneeds" because she loves you! and the water thing? My cat did the same thing!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• DO NOT get her declawed! "Declawing" is actually amputating her "fingers" at the first knuckle. I can't imagine choosing to put her through such an incredibly painful and expensive surgery that can affect the way she walks for the rest of her life when you could just learn to trim her nails. Ask your vet. They'll show you how to do it. You don't even need a special clipper to do it. I just use a normal human nail clipper. They don't like it at first, but if you stick with it and give lots of treats they'll learn that it's necessary and worth the rewards to sit through it.

As for the water thing, lots of cats do that. Mine used to fall in the tub trying to reach the water while it was filling! Then he learned to bat at it and lick the water off his paw. So cute!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 10:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I have a cat..that wants fresh water constantly..the sink water and the bathtub water..is moving..therefore it has more oxygen..don't know why..but after getting a water dish that was a contant running of water..he started drinking out of the bowl..
    i myself..have always just trimmed down my cats nails..if they get used to..its pretty easy..but with you getting your cat from a rescue group..most of the time..the fee includes a spay or neuter..i would just spend the extra to get him or her declawed..granted if you do that they cant go outside..so keep that in mind too..Good Luck
    Hunnybear121082

Answer by Hunnybear121082 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2009