Is there any legal way to make godparents offical except by being catholic???

im baptist and im dedicating the baby to the church soon and the paster asked me if i had godparents which i do but i thought you had to be catholic to have godparents so is there any legal way to make them official like a paper they can sign or something???

julia_lauro2006

Asked by julia_lauro2006 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no "legal" godparent, unless you add to your will that they are to be the legal guardians as well.

And no, Catholic does not corner the market on Godparents.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• There are two aspects of "Godparenting" that people often get confused.

The first is spiritual sponsorship. Many Christian denominations have Godparents for their children who agree to support the parents in raising their child in the faith, especially in absense of the parents should the unthinkable happen.

Secondly, many people refer to their would-be legal guardians as "Godparents" should the unthinkable happen to their parents. This means your child will live with them if something should happen to you and the child's father. This you can accomplish by making/adjusting your will.

My SIL and BIL are BOTH my son's would-be legal guardian as well as their spiritual Godparents but it doesn't have to be the same people for both things, that's just a choice we made.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• EVERYTHING IS DONE BY THE CHURCH, NO LEGALITIES INVOLVED. IT S NOT LIKE YOU NEED A BINDING CONTRACT, THE FAITHFUL WILL OBLIGE WITH THEIR GODPARENTS DUTIES AND BEYOND OUT OF LOVE, WHY WOULD YOU WANT LEGALITIES INVOLVED? YOU WANT TO FORCE THE GODPARENTS TO BE GOOD ONES? CATHOLICS DON'T HAVE LEGALITIES EITHER, JUST MORAL OBLIGATION, AGAIN OUT OF LOVE.

Answer by older at 5:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• "godparents" isn't a catholic only thing. i was dedicated as a baby in church with godparents there, so was my son, etc. etc. and we were in a pentecostal church at the time. when u have a baby dedicated u have the godparents there with you and basically when the pastor asks about how you will be raising the baby etc.. u all agree.. parents and godparents.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• As others have said, other denominations have godparents. And being a Catholic godparent is not a legally binding. Just because someone is my child's Catholic godparent they have no more legal standing as a guardian for my child than any other person in the world.

What you need to do is write up legal guardianship documents. We did ours through a lawyer when we set up our will. We set up a trust fund if something happens to us, named an executor of the trust fund and a legal guardian for our children. I'm sure there's probably some online forms that you could download and fill out if you don't want to go through a lawyer.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You're Baptist?? Me too, but I've never heard of the Pastor asking if you had Godparents for the baby...Live and learn I guess..
    Anyway, our church does have a baby dedication usually within the first year of the baby's birth. It's nothing legal or binding or anything..it's just a small little ceremony for all new parents to come up in front of the church with their baby and the church members repeat a "pledge" to promise to help in the upbringing of the baby into the Christian faith... Then the parent's are given a little blue or pink Bible to remember the dedication.
    I have a Godson, and there's no legalities involved. Maybe you should do as eringobrough suggested in order to make it legal..good luck..
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Put them in your will to take care of your children in case you and the bio dad die.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My family is Non-Denom. and we have Legal Gaurdians/Godparents for our children. Well for 2 of the 3. My first child would automatically go back to her father if anything happened to me (with or without my husband dying as well).

My husband's cousin and her husband would take the two younger ones. I have had her added as a Beneficiary (secondary) to my son's SSI and am making it legal soon in a Living Will that they are to get them if something happened to both my husband and myself.

Religious affiliation has NOTHING to do with Godparents.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 8:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2009