Speaking of Catholic-Marriage?

Ok, my SO is Catholic and told me the other day he wants to be married by the church, but not necessarily at the church. Is that something that Catholics do? I don't know, I was raised Christian, but if he wants to be married Catholic, fine with me, I'm not as "religious" as he is, and the way I see it, as long as we are going to church, reading the bible, and believe in God, I am fine with it. But can we be married by a priest OUTSIDE of the church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No the sacrament must be in the Church.

If you can find an outdoor church-there are some- you can be married outside but in the Church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• NO. My brother's friend wanted to have an outside wedding presided over by a priest and they couldn't do it. A Catholic wedding HAS to be in a Catholic church.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 5:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• O.k. first of all, Catholics are Christian... just f.y.i. But anyway, in the diocese I was married in you had to be married in a church building, or so our priest said at least. There are some diocese that may consider marrying outside the actual church building though. Also, some priests will marry a couple in another church or suitable site when one person is non-Catholic. You would have to talk to a priest in your diocese to find out for sure.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• A Catholic needs to get premission to have a wedding in a place other than a Catholic church. Because Church law states that a wedding may be held in "some other suitable place" besides a Catholic church, it is technically possible that the local bishop might allow outdoor weddings, but few do. You'll have to talk with the priest. Although there are some dioceses that actually have specific places outdoors where Mass (and so weddings) are celebrated. The Catholic Wedding Help website might be able to answer other questions for you.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My husband's sister was raised Christian --Baptist Denomination..her fiance was Catholic.
    They had to be married in the Catholic Church, but a Pastor/Reverend was also there since she wasn't Catholic. Both the Priest and the Pastor resided over the ceremony..
    Also, many years later she and her daughter decided to convert to the Catholic Faith, and they had to attend special classes for 6 months and then be "accepted" by the Priest in the Catholic Church. (I say "accepted" because I can't think of a better word to use..lol )
    I have also heard of having 2 seperate ceremonies. One in the Catholic Church and then one in the faith of the other individual... I wonder if they get 2 sets of gifts too? LOL Anyway, that has just been my experience and how it's usually done in the South..I really don't know much about the Catholic Church's stance on this I'm sorry to say.. Hope this helped some : )
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009