How can i get my sons weight up??

My 11 month old is health as can be but he's very much under weight! I was wondering if anyone knows any thing i can give him to help him gain weight! I'll take any suggestions!

Mama_Tiffy_91

Asked by Mama_Tiffy_91 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Hey, I wouldn't consider your child underweight. My daughter is 27 months and only weights 25 lbs. At her one year appointment she was 19.5. She wasn't considered underweight, just small. Some kids have small frames or are very active so burn off what they eat very quickly. As long as he is gaining and is healthy and happy, don't stress about it. Even at this age, it's possible to instill unhealthy weight issues and eatting habbits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• What is he eating? Are you nursing or formula?
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 5:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• depends on HOW under weight. My son is 22 months old and is only 25lbs. He's taller and thin. He's not interested in eating - he just doesn't get excited about it - we sit down for the 3 meals and 2 snacks a day but he eats like a bird. Me and my husband were both like that though - plus he's super active so he just likes to be busy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If his Doctor isn't concerned I wouldn't worry about it..but a few things you can give him are eggs, pancakes, oatmeal, mashed potatoes. Make sure he is drinking vitamin D milk!!....How much does he weigh exactly?
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 5:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Whole milk has extra fat in it. Kids that age burn through it, so it's good for them. It is hard to give advice, because we don't know how much he weighs, what he eats, etc.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I forgot to add Avocado!...just make sure he gets lots of protein!! I hope that helps! =)
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 5:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• He eats anything and everything!! He doesnt turn ANY food down!! Hes off formula and is drinking Vitamin D milk! Last doctors appointment was when he was 8 months and he was only 16 lbs! He was born at an average weight: 7lbs 5oz!
    Mama_Tiffy_91

Answer by Mama_Tiffy_91 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Some babies can just be on the small size, It may be Hereditary. Breast milk probably would have fattened him up a bit. My son is eating nothing but breast milk and..and he is 24lbs...lol...he was also 8lbs 6oz @ birth. I just started him on solids a few days ago. He is 6 months old!!
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 7:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it unless his doctor is concerned. My daughter was 6lbs. 12ozs. at birth. At her 15 month appointment she was only 18lbs. 10ozs. At her 18 month appointment she was barely 20lbs. Some kids are just small.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 11:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't be too concerned. 18 lbs at 8 mos isn't THAT small imo. If his dr was concerned, he would have already advised you on what to do to help him gain weight. It sounds like you're doing fine. Just stop stressing about it.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2009