cereal in baby formula

My son will be 1 month old in a few days. I keep getting told by some people to put a little cereal in his bottle at night to make him go longer in sleep. I just want some imput on people that have done this or imput if you think I should not do it. Is it safe for his age or is it ok to do?

x03e09

Asked by x03e09 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not safe at all. His digestive system is not ready, all solids should be delayed for at LEAST 4-6 months. Cereal in a bottle should never be done- it is a choking hazard, especially for a baby who has such little control. A child that young NEEDS to eat every 5 hours or so. The sleeping through the night benefit is a bit of a myth. The reasons why this is a bad idea just go on and on...
    Good luck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 5:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It will not cause him to sleep longer at night, he is a newborn and the stomach the size of his palm, if it does anything it can make him very gasy, fussy and constipated. I would not do it, if the Dr gives you the OK for a medical condition like GERD or acid reflux thats fine but to make it sleep better at night, NO. Their system is not ready to digest that type of food yet.

With my first, alot of the older women in the family said the same thing to me, so I did...BIG mistake she was so cranky, I stopped, when they can eat off a spoon, I give cereal but not before unless directed by my Dr.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• NEVER PUT IT IN A BOTTLE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It's a bit early for cereal. Cereal in bottles poses a choking hazard and can lead to overeating, which is not good at anytime, but especially not good at bedtime. If you're worried that your baby isn't eating enough, talk to your pediatrician.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Don't put cereal in his bottle unless a doctor tells you to. It wont help him sleep longer. My daughter has cereal in her bottles for reflux and she still wakes up 2-3 times a night.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 5:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• There tummys aren't ready for ceral yet darling? It can make them very gassy and cranky and sick. Plus cereal will add wieght to a baby really fast!!!!!!!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Unless it is recommended by the pediatrician, I WOULD NOT do it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree with the previous posters especially the first two.

The people who reccommend such a thing are under the false impression that babies who don't sleep 8-10 hours at a stretch are "bad". Adults rarely sleep that long without waking unless they are truly exhausted. Most normal adults wake because they may have to go to the bathroom, are too hot, too cold, have a cramp, need to itch, have a limb fall asleep, are thirsty, hungry, or are awakened by a noise. Babies aren't built, nor equipped to sleep for long stretches nor to go so long without food. Imagine eating something very heavy before bed..maybe even overeating...and then try to sleep. Most people would be very uncomfortable (might even get a belly ache) and not sleep well.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009