My 2 week old spits up a lot...

She will eat 4 ounces at a time, but it seems like she spits up at least a 1/2 oz, maybe more and sometimes it comes out her nose and she gets really upset. I try to only give her 3 oz, but she always wants more. We already give her soy similac which is supposed to help with spitup. Should I call my pediatrician or is it okay? Any advice??

brandidy56

Asked by brandidy56 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you could try to burp her 1/2 way through - I know my son got really mad when I tried to do that but you can try it? Also, could be reflux? Seems to be the newest baby diagnosis/issue. Poor little angel.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I do try to burp her a few times throughout the feeding. Ive thought about it maybe being reflux also...Thanks!
    brandidy56

Answer by brandidy56 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Could be reflux but just do a little every twenty minutes and see. Her tummy may only hold a little. Also, keep in mind, spitup is also lots of saliva so that adds to the scary quantity coming up. My kid used to projectile vomit what seemed like half a cup and we freaked. Eventually he outgrew it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I had one who spit up ALL the time!! It was projectile vomiting and out his nose. It always seemed like so much. Some babies just spit up more. You will do a TON of laundry, most of it yours! :-) But there probably isn't a lot you can do about it. Keep burping throughout the feeding. As long as he is dirtying diapers then he is keeping enough of it in him!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My DD used to spit up all the time too, we switched her bottles and that helped a lot.
    We switched to the Dr. Browns ones.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ask ur doc about similac alimentum...worked for my son
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i have the same problem and my daughter is 16days old we went from Similac advance to similac alimentum and its helped alot and plus the doc. said to try to burp her every 1/2oz and we change bottles to the Playtex

honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Hey! Like some of the other moms said, it sounds like reflux/GERD. I would bring your baby into the pediatrician to be sure. My son used to spit up a TON, sleep very little and cry ALL THE TIME (he was also colicky!). He takes Enfamil Nutramigen, which is like Similac's Alimenum - and just as expensive... ugh. He also is on Zantac.
    Try keeping your baby upright for 20 mins after a feeding, and if baby takes a break while eating, do some burping. Also - don't wear anything you have to dryclean or that you don't want covered in spit-up :-). It gets better around 6 months!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009