can you put vicks rub on a 6 mo olds chest to help with cough & breathing

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not the regular one, but they sell one for babies!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 5:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would contact my child's pediatrician before I'd ever do that at such a young age...even if they have ones for babies.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• im not going to use it on her. im going tojust run a steamy shower and sit in the bathroom with her, were both sick:(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• this is what I have done and i didnt ask the doc. I put the vics on the bottom of the babies foot and put socks on. make sure there is lots of moisture in the air, it will help from getting a stuffy nose. And if you can prop the head of the crib up a little that helps too.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 6:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree 100% with stickyfingers. Put the BABY vicks on the soles of her feet and then put socks or footie jammies on her. if you have extra pillows use one to put UNDER the mattress just to prop her up a little. The shower works well to but once out of the bathroom it won't take long to get stuffy all over again. if you have a VAPORIZOR use that and add some of the medicated syrupy stuff from vicks and leave it on all night (with her door left open). It'll clear everything up a lot quicker. GL hope you both feel better soon
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• They have a vics plug in thingy that you can get. It just puts the euclyptus scent in the air. Perfectly safe for babies as young as 2 months old. PLUS it's still strong enough that it works on adults(at least it did me).

Good Luck! Hope you both feel better soon!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Be careful about too much steamy hot shower, I did that for little one and we both ended up with pneumonia. No, on the vicks vapor rub and yes, talk to your doctor. Especially at 6 months.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I don't want to scare you but I have heard some serious horror stories about Vics and babies and it turning into pneumonia.
    hansonfan1985

Answer by hansonfan1985 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2009