does not want the bottle

My daughter is months old and does not want the bottle. I have to rock her to sleep and then she will take down 5-7 oz of formula but even now she is starting to push the bottle out of her mouth when she sleeps. She gets extremely cranky and starts crying when she sees the bottles. I have tried to give it to her in a sippy cup but when she realized that it was the formula she wanted nothing to do with it. She does eat solids and she loves them. Two weeks ago she would only take the bottle if she was being bounced around, last week she started only taking it after she was rocked to sleep and now she is barly wanting it at all. The other day I wnt to give her some water and she didn't want it until she realized that it wasn't formula in the bottle. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas as to what I can do? Should I try a different formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would talk to the pediatrician if it's ok to switch formula first. It's probably the taste. My daughter didn't like Similac but she was fine with Enfamil.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 6:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It sounds like she doesn't like the taste of it. What brand do you use?
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yeah, talk to your doctor and see if she need a different formula. She may be teething as well, when my baby didn't want her bottle or pacifier or anything at times when she was teething.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• She is on similac soy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Depending on how old she is you might be able to get rid of formula completely. I'd ask your doc about switching to like Rice milk or just regular soy.

you might see about adding a touch of chocolate syrup to make it taste a little better.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• First....has she always been on formula or are you making a transition from breastfeeding? You may need to experiment.

Second...I'm confused by this: "but even now she is starting to push the bottle out of her mouth when she sleeps. "

Are you putting her to sleep with the bottle in her mouth? You really don't want to get in that habit...the milk pools in her mouth as the milk drips from the nipple, and can cause dental caries. It's an EXCELLENT thing that she pushed it out when asleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• the only was she was taking the formula was by me rocking her to sleep and then she would suck on the bottle after she had fallen asleep while i was still holding her. That is the only way she has taken a bottle the last 5 days. She will be 5 months in 2 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009