two year old and a newborn

i just recently had my second child on aug 21st and my son turned 2 on june 5th i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make things easier my two year old like most isnt the best listener and though i know he is only trying to play with his little sister he is often very rough with her. any advice on how to help teach him to be more gentle or on how to juggle a newborn and toddler would be helpful thank you.

kaszilynn88

Asked by kaszilynn88 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just make sure that your 2 yr old still get's his mommy time. right now it shouldn't be too much of an issue because your new born is still going to be sleeping alot. And then just tell him to be soft.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Consistency and repitition. You would have to do this anyway, say if he got a new "toy". He's barely 2. But the fact that this "new toy" can cry and laugh and draw his attention like a moth to light means that you are just going to have to be patient and tell him 1000 times a day to be careful, be gentle, leave her alone, etc. Sometimes, he may be drawn to her to get YOUR attention, so try to make time for him as you both adjust to the new family arrival. Be sure to tell him when he is being gentle, praise goes really far. Also, try to make him your (#1 helper) bringing you diapers, etc. Congratulations! And Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i helped my son out during my pregnancy...from month 6 to the day i had my newborn(aug 20th)i didnt hold him or play with him as much so he couldlearn t pla by himself....he is a good listener and knows that when mommy is holding the baby he cant climb on me or play on me....i kept my son at a distance from the baby for afew days just so he could get to to the fact that a baby was around then after 3 days i let him sit on my lap and hold the bay and kiss him on the forehead....he is very gentle..just be patient....good luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• im in the same boat. i have an 18 month old and a 1 month old. i just show my toddler to be gentle and have him pet the baby but still sometimes he tries to hit him or throw a toy at him or something and i just tell him NO! you dont want to give your baby an ouchie! the best advise i have on juggling them is to remember that if they are both crying at the same time, as long as no one is in danger, then handle the toddler first. when going out i use my moby wrap all the time so that i have two arms free to reign in the toddler if need be. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009