How do you clean cloth toys that have the instructions of "surface clean only"? I don't want to use something too toxic to wipe but I don't feel that water alone is doing the job. Any ideas?

mama-z

Asked by mama-z at 6:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I machine wash them on gentle cycle in a pillow case. pillow case prevents the eyes from getting scratched up
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Lingerie bag works well too. I have also wiped them down with bleach wipes to kill germs and then wiped them again with water (most "bleach" wipes don't actually contain any bleach!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I use dish soap and water, then let them air dry.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Use a weak solution of shampoo, just a couple of drops of baby shampoo in a bowl of warm water. That will freshen them up nicely and leave a pleasant scent. If they're really bad, covered in puke for example, then give them a rinse off then put them in a pillow case on a gentle wash with a hand washing laundry detergent. You don't want to try it with any special toys and certainly not antiques (even just bears you had as a child, they're precious too!) but most modern basic cuddly toys with withstand a fair few cycles in the wash.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I use vinegar or windex. You could also use lemon juice with warm water it's a really good natural cleaner as well.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009