What am i doing wrong?

I have a group that could be great if only i could get the people in it too actually particpate. I dont know what i am doing wrong. I made it very easy to sign up and theres lots of chances to participate so what else do i need to do. I only ask that everyone does one out of 10 possible projects ina two month period and vote for each monthly project. Most of these can be done in an hour or up to a weekend. SO what else do i need to do to get them to participate more and yes i have asked the group what else they would like to see and no one answered.
Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am really lost!!

elananme

Asked by elananme at 6:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Projects?
    I'm not sure what kind of group it is, but I don't think I could keep up with a group that required me to do things. As it is I am just killing a little time while making sure my son gets his homework done. I have plenty of other things to do, but they require concentration or the ability to leave the room. Neither of which I could do right now.
    Maybe you should look for members who....idk...have a lot of spare time and grown kids?
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• whats the group?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Its called Sew MOnthly and it is a workshop group. Many of the hobby type groups have things like sew alongs, etc. so ithought why not have a group that was just about projects, for people that really just want projects and ideas to work on.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It may pick up now that kids have gone back to school. Summer is a tough time to do those types of projects, especially when you have small kids running around the house. Maybe start posting some tutorials (if you already haven't) to give easy ideas. Since the holidays are coming up maybe have a contest of creative gift ideas and open it up to other types of projects besides sewing, just to get the ball rolling.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Hey, I haven't been on CafeMom lately, because I've been too busy with Facebook, but I'm getting enough of Facebook now, so I'm going to be on CafeMom a lot more! I'd like to join your group. Although we do have a sewing machine, I don't really know how to use it. It's my 18 year old daughter Meghan's anyway. I like to sew things by hand. So if you can post some easier projects on your group, I'd be happy to do those projects. It would be fun, and yes, Christmas is just around the corner. Today is my birthday, and both my kids have to go to school today, as it's Tuesday.
    cheeky927

Answer by cheeky927 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Today is my birthday too!!! I will look for projects that can be done by hand. I hadnt thought about that but it something I am sure i can find.

the suggestion about opening it up to other projects, to me would ruin the point of the group and turn it into every other craft group here on cafemom. I only sew, I dont scrapbook, knit, crochet, or anything else so I wanted a group of mothers who like to sew and wanted to work on projects together, like a sewing circle across the nation kind of thing. but thanks anyway! i appreciate the suggestions
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Okay, since you want to keep it to sewing, how about making a contest for Thanksgiving / Christmas types of gifts? Something that incorporates other crafts? Like making those sewn jar covers for things like home-made jams and such? Or maybe using those same covers for a jar of home-made bath salts? you could make it a creative combo contest that incorporates sewing as the focus? or maybe a 'most creative' contest for a certain type of project, ex. since it's going to get cooler soon, maybe one of those draft stoppers for at the base of the doors?

I would count on it getting busier very soon, as Halloween is just around the corner and lot's of mom's like to make their children's costumes. I know I do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I own a moms group (in real life) and frankly, participation is always an issue no matter what organization you're in. I think your real problem is that you can't expect people in a virtual community to do something that's meant to be an in person thing. There's zero motivation for these people to take time out of their day but they join because they like the idea of doing these crafts- but that doesn't mean they'll really participate. If you want to start a successful craft group, I'd try a real-life meetup group like something through meetup.com- there may already be a sewing group you can join. If you really want to stay on cafemom, I would make the activities really simple or just use the group as a personal blog to inspire others without expecting them to do anything. I know where you're coming from with the national sewing circle, but its almost impossible to create that atmosphere when you'll never meet the people.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I love the idea of a virtual sewing circle. Besides the assigned projects and the voting, is there discussion as well? I am a member of a cross stitch online group and there is more participation and discussion on that group, I have no idea how anyone gets anything else done. The finished projects they display is amazing. It does have members from all over the world.
    All my groups have gone dead for periods over the summer, but I also believe they will pick up with kids back in school and snow coming. Please do not give up.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 9:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes there is discussion about the current or past projects and even question and answer posts so if someone gets stuck on something they can get help from the other ladies in the group. I hope to see you there
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2009