my oven says-self cleaning,and there is a clean button.what do i do?

do i just push the clean button?do i have to put it on a certain degrees or do the timer?i dont see any instructions anywhere on the oven.it is a Frigidaire. not sure if i should just call the company or just scrub the inside. what is a good product for scrubbing in there.it doesnt look too bad,but have lived here a year and never cleaned it.

littledozie

Asked by littledozie at 6:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Just push the button. I know some of the old ones have a latch thing on the front, but it's been YEARS since i've seen one of those. With mine, you hit the button, it sets the timer and the temperature and locks itself.

I DO suggest doing it at a cool time of day. It cleans at a VERY high temp and will make your house very warm!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• When I had one...I remember pulling the latch across to lock than hitting 'clean'. I remember it taking several hours, so don't do it if you will be needing your oven. When it finishes, all that should be left is some ash in the bottom to clean out.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Take the racks out and just push the self cleaning button and press start!
    It will take a few hours! After it's done and cooled down just wipe it out.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 6:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• also forgot to mention i cant lock my oven closed.there is some type of latch,but it feels broken so kinda scary with my 14 month old.i usually use oven when she is napping or preoccupied cause it makes me nervous
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 6:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If yours is like my old one, the oven won't allow you to self-clean without it being latched.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You should set it to self clean when you are about to go out with your child for an extended period of time.
    1Namba

Answer by 1Namba at 11:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes i'd plan a day outside when you want to clean your oven it not only gets hot but smells horrible. So opening the windows are a MUST!

I'm not sure if yours is the same but with mine I just press the clean button and there are 3 settings on mine I choose the setting I want (Amount of time) and press "start" and it automatically locks and cleans.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Use an aerosal spray called Oven clean....combine it with a scouring pad, and you will have a clean oven in about 1/2 hour. While you're at it pull it out, sweep under it, wash floor under, scrub top (dials, burners, and even the ledge at the top), sides, and broiler/storage drawer. It will only add 20 minutes.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Just push that button girl....it will do the rest for you!
    That is, if your oven isn't too awfully dirty. If it is, then you still might have to do the hard, stuck on stuff yourself anyway. I use mine alot for roasts and things that splatter alot so...I usually end up getting half my body in the oven to scrub...not fun,LoL.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i dont think you can use cleaners w/a self cleaning oven.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2009