breast and bottle

my daughter is 10 days old and i have been breast feeding tho it is going very well it is some times difficult if i have to be out and about running errands and im not really comfortable trying to breastfeed in public. at home which is where i am most of the time isnt bad it usually goes great the only time its hard is when my 2 yr old wants me or is getting into trouble. i am eventually going to need to give her a bottle seeing as how i will be returning to work how soon can i give her a bottle i just think it would be a little easier sometimes.

kaszilynn88

Asked by kaszilynn88 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to have dad give her a bottle without you in the room or around. then she can't smell you and sense you. then when she is nice and settled with that, you can try giving her the bottle. i had to go through three bottle/nipple styles until my son found one he liked, remember that too. best we found was Dr Brown, for the air in the tummies and a smaller normal nipple, not a big or odd shaped one
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would make sure that you pump so that it's BM in the bottle. And then after a successful run with dad you should be ok. I don't personally recommend the bottle while with you because it's such a wonderful thing to be able to nurse your child.

I personally liked the evenflo or soothie bottles. but then my kids never were picky about the type of bottle when they were hungry.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Its said to wait until breastfeeding is well established before introducing a bottle. I'd also advise that when your baby is eating, milk should be removed from your breasts, so if she's not nursing, you should be pumping when she gets a bottle, to keep your supply up to her schedule.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Six weeks is the recommended interval.

You might try nursing in front of a mirror to see what shows. Usually a tank top shows more skin than a nursing baby will!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2009