S-C-R-E-A-M-I-N-G!!!

Hey Mamas,
I was reading this in desperate need of help with my 15 mo old daughter. I've been trying the reasoning with her saying "I understand you're frustrated because _____ , but screaming isn't nice. We DON'T scream". We've never started time out - actually about an hour ago I tried to give her time out in the corner for screaming because she kept getting into the dirty dishes daddy was putting in the dishwasher and when I'd take her away she'd scream that blood curdling scream. When I put her in the corner she didn't really seem to realize it was time out. Is she too young?

What do I do? She doesn't really scream but for a few seconds as I take her away but she's been doing it every time I lift her today, it seems.

(btw I'm sorry if you read this already - I posted this as an answer to someone else's question from last year!) :D

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It just seems like she's coming into emotions that she can't explain - she can't express them properly... so she screams.
    If there's something that would deter her attention away.. maybe, asking her if she would like to see a movie instead? Or thanking her for helping Daddy do the dishes, and then asking her if she would like to do something else?
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I've figured out with my 17 month old time outs don't work since they are way too young to understand why they get put away from the "fun." So I use distraction instead of time out. Like the answer before, put on a movie, ask if she wants a snack or to go find her favorite toy for you. Most babies want to impress you so they do what you laugh at and what you do daily. So get excited when she goes and does things on her own when she knows she's in trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think she's too young but you are absolutely right to say, "I know you're mad or frustrated!" It shows you understand and they need that. I think just remove her ever time. She'll do it over and over to test you but that's part of the learning curve. Hard to discipline that age but you're off to a good start.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Thank you all. This is why I love my cafemamas - you keep me in line. Sometimes I just feel like I will lose it!! Yes, I have been trying to distract her with other things and sometimes that works, but I did forget that she doesn't understand her emotions right now. In the moment it's hard to remember she's not doing it to "get at you"... all the time. ;) Thank you guys for the support!
    Any newcomers to this post please share your stories - we all learn so much from them.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2009