Would you comfort your child if they get hurt while being defiant?

OK. let me explain. I was at a playdate and this kid kept jumping off chairs and his mom kept telling him to cut it out and he wouldnt listen. Hes 3. Well, he falls off the chair and bursts his lip, and runs to his mom for comfort and she steps away from him, giving him the "I told you speech" and how he should have listened and she didnt feel sorry for him and blah blah blah. She wiped his lip but wouldnt hug him or pick him up. He obviously needed a hug but she just kinda shoved him off.

I thought that was kinda mean...but I am on the fence on this one. I can understand where she was coming from, but I wont necessarily do that to my kid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Eh...yeah that's pretty cold. I sort of get it but I couldn't do it.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i think thats horrible. no matter what, its a little child that needs their mother. i would ALWAYS comfort my children if they needed it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes. I would comfort my child.
    I would also tell him that he got hurt, because he wasn't listening and that he shouldn't be jumping off chairs.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I wouldd probably first hug him, clean up his cut, them explain that he got hurt because he was being unsafe. I would age appropriately explain that poor choices equals bad consequences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'd give some love for a split lip and once everything had calmed down I'd say "that's why you shouldn't jump off chairs, you understand?" With a lesser injury I just do the 'told you so' thing. I tend to give a warning if it's something not particularly dangerous or something that isn't expressly forbidden by either me or others rules if we're at a playground or a museum. If he's throwing a toy in the air for example and he's not near anything that's going to break I'll say "that is so going to hit you on the head any minute now." When it does he'll come crying to me and I just say "well you can't say I didn't warn you" then give him a quick snuggle and kiss it better but not as much as I'd do it it were a real accident.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would of course do the "I told you so" speach - but I'd never deny my hurt child comfort and cuddles and kisses.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i would hug him i do hug them when they do that. but i talk to them after.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would have done exactly what the anon posted.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i think shes the mother not you mind your p's and q's honestly id give the i told you so speech and say come on your fine well. not if the lip was split i wouldn't say your fine lol but if just fell and cried over it id say i told you so get over it your fine and i bet you wont do that again, now if they hurt themselves id clean it up and go well you wont do that one again now will you
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would not have the will power to not comfort my hurt child, but hey whatever works. This is probably not the first time that this kid has hurt himself doing something unsafe so she is probably just doing what works for them. I think getting hurt would be enough for my daughter to think about doing something dangerous but every kid is different.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2009