lighter in dryer

Early in the Summer we bought a lighter for a few events and smores and stuff like that... I guess I assumed it ended up in a junk drawer or even left at my parents house (we lit his b-day candles with it) but about 15mins ago I emptied my drier and w/ the clothes was the lighter! It survived a washing in hot water and then 120 minutes in the drier. What could've happened? Could it have blown up? It was used like 4 times tops so was 99.9999% full of liquid. I am not mechanical at ALL, what could the consequences been?? I am guessing it was in a pocket of something my husband rarely wears therefore is rarely washed... and I obviously didn't check pockets well enough :(

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• http://mythbustersresults.com/episode65

Go to this site to find out what happened when they put a lighter in the dryer. Myth BUSTED but you can read it for yourself more in depth.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have heard that lighters "can" blow up, but... I've done it so many times, that I'm actually suspicious on this rumor. :]
    Of course, it's not recommended, lol, but accidents happen.
    Or maybe they're talking those bigger lighters. The long ones where you can light BBQ grills and stuff like that.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'm not sure if it could blow up or not....but I have washed and dried many lighters by mistake, and they have never blown up! Actually they still worked!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Not saying that it can't happen (anything is possible?) but i've washed and dried quite a few lighters.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You dry your clothes for 120 minutes???WTH? 2 hours? Be more concerned with wasting electricity and gas and not a damn lighter! Wasting energy is so bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I've washed and dried lighters many times over the years. If this is unlikely to happen again, there's no reason to worry about what might have happened.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• "You dry your clothes for 120 minutes???WTH? 2 hours? Be more concerned with wasting electricity and gas and not a damn lighter! Wasting energy is so bad."

Seriously... Go take some midol and quit being such a whiney bitch.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• every time i wash i almost always wash a lighter, i'm just surprised they stil work.
    larissacst

Answer by larissacst at 2:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• geez i takes you 2 hrs to dry?! my SO would kil me when the electric bill came in!!! lol
    larissacst

Answer by larissacst at 2:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009