scolding my 2 year old

ok so yesterday i took my boys to my boyfriends house to go swimming and after my 2 year old and i took a shower. while i was getting dressed my 2 year old went running out naked and he peed on my boyfriends floor. My 2 year old isn't potty trained yet and i don't believe he need me to yell at him and spank his but when he did so. My boyfriend get really mad because i didnt yell at him and he made a huge deal of it and even got some stain removal and scrubed the floor. my question is.....what are your thoughts on this? should i have been more harse on my 2 year old or was my boyfriend really over reacting. oh and by the way my boyfriend is now my ex boyfriend because of this!

SpringMommy07

Asked by SpringMommy07 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what??? your spelling is making this un readable
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• yes i think you are over reacting his parenting style may be different and when both were calm id have talked it over, and id not have spanked him but i would have giving him a very stern reprimand over it
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Be glad he's your ex now! Your son is not pottytrained and there is no reason why you should yell at him!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 6:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• you didn't over react. just think of how the boyfriend would treat him once you were potty training him!!! my son is shy of 13 months and today when i showered, he was in there w me....well after getting out i didn't get a diaper on him before he peed on the carpet. no biggie. just clean it up. can't scold a 2 year old for something they have no control over!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i should add id reprimand that he was naked and that he took off all his clothes not for the pee'ing part
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think he overracted a bit. I never spanked my boys for accidently peeing on the floor. I think it can make them regress in the potty training process. I have 3 boys and only 1 potty trained. I would never punish any of them for an accident. Now, if it were intentional and they knew what they were doing, then that is grounds for descipline. But spanking a two yr. old for an accident is rediculous. Just my oppinion!!!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Positive re-enforcement is what a child needs when they are not fully potty trained. By yelling/spanking you could actually make the learning process take longer.

Ex-boyfriend, way over reached.
    1Namba

Answer by 1Namba at 10:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Good call making him your ex-boyfriend.

That's definitely not daddy material.

That's fair for saying don't run off - that's something he can control. I think you handled it just right.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Peyton, He was naked because mom & him had taken a shower, he ran out before she could clothe him. Happens all the time.

I think you did the right thing, and if he's this way over a little pee, what's he going to do when things get really bad? I think that HE over-reacted. Good call on your part.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009