Household rules for children over 18??

Any of you that have children 18 or older still living at home, could you share with me some of the household rules you set up with them? Things such as how much housework they'll do, curfews, guests, etc. My DD is going to be 18 and still have a year of high school left and we're getting ready to sit down with her and discuss this. Thanks for the help!!

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 7:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I didn't move out until I was almost 19 due to my b-day and k-garden start date...my rules were still the same whether I was 15 or 19...as long as I was in school or under their roof, I abided by their rules...I couldn't move out until high school was over but if I didn't like their rules afterwards, I was more than welcome to get a job and support myself. Just because she's 18 doesn't change the fact that it's your house/your rules.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I have boys that are grown. My oldest didn't graduated until he was 18 1/2. Rules did not change at all while he was still in school. Same as they didn't change for my youngest who was 17 when he graduated. After HS grad is when rules changed for us. They had two choices...go to school fulltime you live at home for free. You don't go to school then you get a job and pay $250 rent a month or you move out. They were given until Sept 1st after their graduation in the spring to make a plan. My oldest planned on going to college until an Army recruiter got hold of him. My youngest did go to college. It was hard to send a not yet 18 yr old off to a campus 300 miles away.. Rules if they stayed and paid rent. No opposite sex overnights because it is still my house. Drugs mean auto evicticition. Same with any alcohol. automatic 30 day notice. They did their own wash and were required to keep their room vermin free.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Our rules are based on grade level and not on age. My oldest was 17 when he graduated, my 2nd son was 19 and my younger 2 (who are both Seniors) will be 19 and 18 when they graduate and they all had the same rules when they were seniors. Age had no bearing on it. As seniors the curfew is home by 8p on school nights and home by 11p unless there's something special going on weekends. They have household chores, cannot miss school unless they are sick & I call them off even if they can legally sign themselves out and they have to follow the basic rules of respect that they have been following since they could understand rules. There's no sleepovers with girls, no parties, no leaving whenever they want, they call when they arrive and depart from desitinations, etc.. They pay for their car insurance, gas for their cars and cell phone bills and we take care of everything else. No one has ever had an issue with those rules.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I had the same rules in my house even when I was 18 and still in highschool. My sister is 26 and staying with my parents and the rules are pretty much the same as when we were in highschool, except for a later curfew.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• at 18 , my curfew was during the week 11 pm. I use to go out twice a week. and on week-ends 12;00 pm . because my parents always said to me that their house was not a hotel where anyone can come and leave at any time in the middle of the night . Plus my parents needed to sleep because they had to get up early in the morning to go to work. my mom didn't need to stay up tossing and turning worrying about me. she said she couldn't sleep until i got home But at 18 I was in college. but my first i did commute back and forth'as for chores have them help you around trhe house with what ever you need them to do..
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I have a 22 and a 181/2 year old in the house as well as my 16 year old. The two oldest are in college but commute from home. My rules are keep the bedrooms clean, help with the household chores, curfew at 12:00 for the 22 year old and 11:00 for the 18 year old and 8:00 for the 16 year old, cell phone, car insurance and gas are paid by them self. This is still their home so everyone helps.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• im 21 and still live with my parents. i really don't have a curfew.. but then again i don't go out when i have my son. my chores are vacuuming, dishes, and cleaning after my son. i have to pay for everything myself. although if i really need their help, they will help. they don't make me pay rent though.. since all of my money goes towards my bills and my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Once I turned 18, I had no curfew but I did have to tell my parents where I was going, who I was with and when I would be home...that is just respect and safety issues. I did have to help with cooking and cleaning and I did my own laundry. I also gave my parents money for rent each week. I lived with my parents off and on until my son was 9 yrs old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• keep it quite. do some help around the house. depends on the type of friends. I never left more than 1. unless their the good kids. no curfew. i mean you can't have a curfew their over 18.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I payed rent. kept my stuff clean (room bathroom dishes), I had no curfew. I never told anyone were I was going. It wasn't their business not like I was doing anything illegal. but i was a good kids so my parents trusted me. the only thing i hated was the my mom would knocked on my door every day some times TWICE. It was so irritating. If i wanted to make small talk i would come out of my room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2009