How do I treat a fungal infection under my artificial nail?

I went to get my nails done today and found one nail to have a fungus. The guy at the shop told me to go buy some cheap stuff at Walmart to apply under the nail. Anyone have any home remedies or recommendations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Health

• Okay as a professional myself I am hearing a few things wrong with this picture>he should not be putting acrylic back on if you have a fungus! It's illegal to work on anyone in any state if they have anything communicable. Next, the fungus occured because your acrylic nail was lifting and water from everyday life got trapped under there and cultivated fungus. It happens. I usually buff it off with a nail file, because it's usually surface fungus. Then I use bleach on it. If you go to Sally Beauty supply you can get some good stuff to get rid of it. I'd go there before Walmart. If you don't remove the nail and treat it you are asking for a stream of problems that come one after the other. It will get out of control and it can get painful and look really gross.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Take the nail off and let it air out. use lamisil AF or the generic
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would also use Black Walnut. You can get it in the herbal section. It's a natural anti-fungal.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009