What's your honest opinion of polygamy?

I have been wondering what other people's opinions of polygamy is. Does the circumstance of the polygamous relationship make any difference to you? What are your thoughts on polygamy in religions such as FDLS, Islam, and the LDS belief that men may have more wives in the afterlife even if they are not polygamous in this life?

**Edit**
I am not trying to say that Muslims and Mormons still practice polygamy, I know it is publicly renounced but some people do continue to practice polygamy. I am also not saying that all polygamists practice polygamy due to religious affiliation.

Mortiferouslatt

Asked by Mortiferouslatt at 8:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think its a very bad idea. I had a friend that tried it and totally ruined her otherwise happy marriage.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• if all (consent adults) parties are ok with the situation then more power to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I don't understand why a woman would want to share something like that with another woman...even her sister...but that's me.

I saw a documentary on this once. Some polygamous relationships are voluntary, some are almost a result of a "cult-like" set up.

If it's done, it has to be totally voluntary by an ADULT.

When gay marriage is made legal, I expect polygamy to be legalized soon after.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 8:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Big Love on HBO. After you watch that and the politics that go with it, you will really get turned off.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If all parties are of LEGAL consenting age and can make it work then whatever. PERSONALLY I would never engage in it and don't see how it could possibly work as being a healthy relationship for all involved.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• it was a good thing during the war on the wagon trail, they didn't do it for sex, they did it because so many of the men were dying in the war and they needed to take care of the women. that polygamist cult/sect seperated from the real mormon church decades ago and even though they say they are mormon, they are not part of the real mormon church
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• badUuuuummmm. Gross? I mean seriously...think about it.. Why?? Why??? Why????

lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Why not, gay's wanna get married, straight get married, idiots get married, why should it matter how many people you want to marry? Apparantly if you are in love with the person you should be allowed to marry them no matter what. Hell, I think there's even a state where it's legal to marry a farm animal(no joke). No one takes marriage to terribly serious anymore anyway. If they are all for it then what business is it of ours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think that gay marriage and polygamy are on totally different levels, but that's just me. I think that marriage shouldn't be limited to heterosexual couples, I think of gay marriage as a human rights issue. Taking multiple spouses is a personal decision but how many would be too many if it were legalized? Would women be able to marry multiple men? What would marriage mean if it were allowed, would you just be able to marry as many as you wanted and would your marriages all be "one marriage" or would you have separate marriages with each spouse? its too confusing, lol.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 8:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'm way to possessive to share my husband.

writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009