How do I stop breastfeeding already?

My daughter is only 2 weeks old, but my right nipple has hurt the entire time I have been nursing. I know that breastmilk is the best thing for my baby but I can't stand the constant pain in my nipple any longer. We have been giving her formula along with the breastmilk since she was born so it's not like it's new to her. I was just wondering how i can go about completely weaning her here very soon.

abbigirl09

Asked by abbigirl09 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Push through and find out what the problem is because you and baby will thank yourself for years and years to come. It is a surmountable hurdle that you can accomplish. Your child deserves your determination and perseverance!

Can we help you with your problem? It is probably the latch or the hold for the right side. What position do you use?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If you REALLY want to wean, drop one feeding every couple of days til gone. You cannot just STOP...you don't KNOW pain till you've experienced the pain of sudden weaning. Cabbage leaves in your bra will also help...change them when they stink.

It might be easier to fix the pain problem...have you seen a lactation consultant? You can also stop by the breastfeeding moms group...we've been there and done that and can help you through it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'll echo what's already been said. Drop a nursing session per week until completely done, but it's really worth it to try and fix what the problem is. Your local La Leche League can help, for free, and an IBCLC is a great resource if you can afford one (not sure of rates). Sometimes the problem is so simple, and easy to correct.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I went through the same problem. I started to hurt too. My mother in law told me to just stop breastfeeding her completely. To start giving her the formula for every feeding and thats what I did. And she said after a couple of days or weeks you stop making milk cause the baby is not sucking. Not to do anything to your breast, she said just basically let them "drain out" the milk. My mother in law doesnt believe what the doctors tell you to do, to ween them out.
    mizz.crystal

Answer by mizz.crystal at 11:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I suggest calling the local health department and getting the number for a free lactation consultant. But if you are deadset on weaning. Give her a bottle for feedings and if and when you become painfully engorged, pump JUST ENOUGH to make the pain go away. Because if you pump a lot, you will continue to produce milk. It sometimes takes a while for you to completely dry up.
    hansonfan1985

Answer by hansonfan1985 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2009