Is this legal?

My mom's auto finance company took two car payments (approx. $750) out of her bank account without authorization. She was one payment behind, but had called them about skipping a payment because money was tight, which they approved her to do, but then they just took TWO payments out of her account last week....they didn't inform her they would do anything like that, nor do they have any kind of authorization from her to automatically take payments from her bank account....and on top of it, it sent her into the red because she didn't even have that much money to her name right now....and now she's got none to LIVE on.....why she called about skipping the payment in the first place. Something seems not right about them being able to just take multiple payments without confirming it or something......any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• she needs to call all parties involved, the company and the bank

if it was not authorized its completely illegal- can the bank cancel the payment?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Does she have record that she called them? did they send her a confirmation letter? my car company sent me a letter stating they approved my request to defer a payment! Other than that i would tell her to go to the bank and explain to a banker what happened, and see if they can reverse the payment or fight the car company for it. My bank offered to do that for a double gas station charge, being that it was a duplicate charge! GL
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• This is why I never give out my bank account information to any place. It they want my money, they can wait for a check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Anon 8:31....Ummm, do you realize that your check has all of the bank account information needed? Your name, address, account number & routing number are all on your check and that is all of the primary information that is needed for anybody to access your account.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009