1 year old, how to stop binkies and bottles

I have a 1 year old. Is it time to stop the binky and bottle? If so, how? I cannot get him to drink milk or anything for that matter from a sippy and a cup would take forever. How much milk should he be drinking at this point? How long do they have a bottle before bed time???

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 8:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We switched the daytime bottles to sippy cups first and if she didn't drink milk, I added dairy to her meals/snacks. Our pediatrician told us they don't need milk, just diary. My daughter wouldn't drink milk out of her sippy cup for a couple of months but now she's back on it and probably has the equivalent of 8 oz throughout the day in addition to cottage cheese and whole milk yogurt.

The binkie....I'll have to see how people answer! I'm dreading this. Our ped said we need to do this by 18 months. With everything else I've tried to be ahead of the game, but the binkie issue is tough for me. Mine only uses it when she sleeps, but she is miserable without it at bedtimes.
    madisongrace

Answer by madisongrace at 9:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Children over a year do not need to drink any milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Children over one don't need bottles before bed. You may want to give your child a high protein snack (not sweets) before bed.

Drinking out of a cup isn't hard or doesn't take a long time. I do it with my breastfed grandson all the time.

Pacifiers are controversial. It is normal for children to nurse until they are 2 or 3 or even longer. They have a sucking need. If they aren't nursing shouldn't they be allowed to meet that need with a pacifier? You may be able to limit pacifier use to nap and bed times.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• At 15 mos. I did the cold turkey method for the bottle. Just went and put them all out into the recycle bin, outside. Didn't do the sippy cup (my pediatrician called it a glorified bottle) went straight to straw bottle and cups.
    The pacifier was harder. But the more she drank from a regular cup and one with a straw, I needed it less and less until it wasn't missed. With my last born due to health reasons, I wasn't able to breastfeed her.
    1Namba

Answer by 1Namba at 10:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Here we go with the "babies don't need milk" b.s....AGAIN. Answer the question or shut up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Babies DO need whole milk until age 2 y/o for brain development. I got our FS off the bottle at 21 months, and when I told the pedi that he no longer drank milk, he had me put him back on the bottle. He had not taken it in 3 weeks. It's not just calcium, they need the high milk fat for their brains and also Vitamin D. Ours never took a pacifier, so we are keeping the bottle until all his molars come in, then he'll probably ditch it on his own. Yes, it's OK to breastfeed for 2,3,or more years, but some don't consider the bottle as the same nurturing and comfort. I don't understand why. When he's done, he'll be done. I've never seen a kindergartner with a bottle or pacifier. I don't understand the hurry. They are still babies.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• We have about a sippy cup full when he wakes up and then a sippy cup full about an hour before bed. My son used to go to bed only with the bottle and when I decided it was time to get off the bottle at around 11 1/2 months I bought sippy cup after sippy cup till i found the one he liked and he wouldnt drink milk right away so i got him used to it by giving him juice and water...mostly juice then just bc i was trying to get him to like the sippy...then when he started drinking with it more i decided to take the bottles away completely...but every once in a while if he wouldnt fall asleep after crying forever I'd give him a bottle..well that was bad so I finally got the trash can and all the bottles and threw everything away...it was kinda fun for us bc he helped me..that way i was never tempted again...if he didnt drink what i gave him he went without...but after a little bit he drank it. So it was pretty easy for us
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 2:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• BTW, just wanted to say that ours has been using all sorts of sippies since 9 months old. He just would NOT drink milk out of one. He would drink water, juice, anything else. If it had milk in it, he threw it. Like I said before, he was off the bottle, but with that was also OFF the milk. Doctor had us get back on. "If he'll only take it in a bottle, then you need to put it in a bottle." Didn't seem like rocket science to him. He doesn't take a paci, it's his comfort, and I don't know why we are in a hurry to get them off of both when breast-feeding is acceptable for years. But to each their own, good luck. Do whatever works for you, you know your child best. Sincerely, good luck.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2009