TMJ or TMD

Has anyone ever heard of tmj or tmd? I went to the ER on Saturday night and and the doctor said he thinks it's an issue with TMJ. I've had severe pain for months which I thought was coming from teeth but it may be my jaw. I was given percocet to take but it upsets my stomache but sometimes the pain is too much and I take it. Does anyone know anything about this? If so, do you know anything that can help other than taking percocet?

msfila1980

Asked by msfila1980 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Health

• I wear a night guard for TMJ. My dentist was able to help by adjusting my bite, but if I find myself clenching I use the night guard. The pain was unbearable, and I sympathize. I found that a double dose of Alleve helped. I didn't take Alleve for anything else since I didn't want to develop a tolerance for it. So my advice is to see your dentist.

Answer by Bmat at 10:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You need to see a dentist. Maybe wear a night-gaurd at night in case you grind or clinch you teeth with will cause TMJ. stop chewing gum too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Any anti-inflamitory should help with the pain. Definitely use a night guard if you grind your teeth. If you clench durring the day (I do when irritated or stressed) try to stop! If it gets too bad your jaw might lock... I couldn't open my mouth more than about an inch for over 3 months.
    mrsduf

Answer by mrsduf at 5:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009