Help!! My baby's helmet is eating her face!!!

My 5 month old baby has to wear a helmet to help to reshape her misshapen head. She had a small patch of excema on her cheek before she ever started wearing it. She had it on for 8 hours last night (the longest shes had it on yet). When we took it off that small patch of excema was huge and bloody!!! I can't hardly stand to see her poor tiny face that way. We called her doctor and they said it was a pretty common thing that happens with these helmets. We put neosporin on it and covered it with gauze. She doesn't get seen until Wendsday. Does anybody have any other ideas that might help?

katskelington

Asked by katskelington at 8:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm allergic to tape and preservatives in neosporin and either would make eczema much much worse on me. Neosporin would cause a raw, red, open rash for me.

Perhaps you could pad the helmet with old fabric like soft flannel from a shirt. Not new fabric. New fabric may have chemicals that release formalehyde and that can cause eczema, it does for me.

I would ask to see an allergist.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'd do what you did. Also I wonder if where the helmet is touch in that area if it could be covered with adhesive tape?

Answer by Bmat at 8:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009