Allowance for 10 yr old

My DS is 10. He takes the garbage out to the garbage can daily, takes the garbage can out for pick up and brings it back in twice a week, and mows the lawn with a real mower (small lawn, takes him about 15 min, and thats when he's going slow). He may help pick up the living room from time to time, but thats about the extent of his chores. What would you suggest for an allowance? He will be shoveling the drive-way once winter hits in a few weeks also. The drive way is only the length of a car. I was thinking about $3 a week for now, (1 for each thing he did) and than a dollar for each time he shovels on top of that. Also, any other chores a 10 yr old could do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• LAUNDRY AND DISHES, omg i hate those things!!!! um, chores to me were always a thing you did to pull your weight not just to get paid, so i had to do MORE than i was required to get some money. 3-5 a week is nice. I would honestly say that you give him his set of chores to pull his weight, and a list of extra, for each extra he gets a dollar, and the shoveling snow thing is hard work i would assume, so i would say 1dollar a time for that like you stated would be fair!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I give my son $10-$15 a week.
    $1 for shoveling SNOW?!?! Dang kids in sweatshops make more than that!!!!!!!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• $3 a week... really? That's only $12 amonth what is he going to do with that?

That's what I give my 4 year old for doing his chores..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my daughter is 9 and she cleans her room, walks thedog ,does the litter box folds her laundry and puts away clean dishes and takes out the trash when its not too heavy, she gets $7 a week. shes saving up for a ds game they are $30.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 4:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Kids should be able to earn half their age (they should also be taught to save 30% give 10% and spend 60% of that.) (note i said earn - not given......we pay our kids "commissions" we do not give allowances. prepare them for real life now : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son gets $4/week for his chores - $2 he can spend, and $2 goes into his savings account. If he wants more money, he can do more chores. At 9 my son cleans his own room, changes his sheets, take out the trash, sweeps the kitchen 1 time/week, vacuums his room plus one, wipes down the bathroom, does at least one load of laundry (wash, dry, fold) - i think that's it.
    If I gave him 10-15/week I would wonder what he was doing with his money!

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My kids (13,6,4) all make their beds, pick up their dirty clothes every day. Wash dishes, wash clothes, hang them out (I do it for the little ones, they hand me the clothes), bring them in, put them up, clean their rooms, sweep their bedroom & 1 other room, clean the bathroom every week. They take turns taking out the trash (Mon & Fri) & recyclables (Wed). I used to pay them according to their age (1.30, .60, .40) for each chore, but money has been very tight, so we started a different system, still based on their age tho. I would love to be able to pay them more, but they are glad to get what we can give them.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We always give our kids 1/2 their age and if they need or want more we find extra work for them. This $ is based upon them doing their chores, I would put snow-shoveling on a required but extra pay base and add dishes and laundry to daily list. It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things so far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Ask him what he thinks.
    Teri12718

Answer by Teri12718 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009