How do you burn sage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Smudging is not exclucive to the Native Americans - it is found in most ancient religions. I like to make my own incense. .but if you're just purchasing some leaves of sage (or the spice isle) then I agree put it in a dish and light it - it won't necessarily smell the same as a smudge stick or incense but it works just as well.
    KickButtMama

Answer by KickButtMama at 6:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You light it with a lighter or a match, and it burns.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Thanks mandy.
    Anonymous

• I use a shell or metal dish. Be careful it will get hot. I always just get white sage leaves that are dehydrated. Its best if their home grown but if you must supermarket sage is ok. Light and they will normally flame out on their own and then just smoke.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• And why would you? I use sage in turkey stuffing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I have sage "sticks" and I just light them with a match and use them in whatever area Im cleansing.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I use sage sticks too. I have a shell or dish that I hold under it so that ashes don't fall all over. I light it with a lighter or match and then I fan it using a fan or something similar to get the smoke really going. Don't blow on it to do that because that is considered disrespectful (like blowing out a candle flame).
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Anon :09, why so rude? I am still asking...WHY would you burn sage?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I use a stick if I am cleansing a large area. But if its a lessor rit or a quick spell I burn a few white sage leaves in a shell.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If it's a bundle, just light it like you would a large stick of incense. I hold a large flat shell under it to catch anything that falls from it as I walk around. It's good to keep the sage smoke moving while you are cleansing, so I don't usually set the sage down if I can help it. If you need to put the sage down, you can stick it (unlit side down) into a fire resistant container filled with sand. It's always good to have the sand anyway so you can put the sage out if you need to. If I'm only cleansing a small area or burning it as incense, I take a few pieces from a bundle and light them in and incense burner.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2009