California Wildfires....Anyone here near them?

I live in Nevada and I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for those who have lost lives or homes in these fires. I see the hazy skies by us which are due to the fires smoke being blown by the wind out here, last night we had an orange moon and the haze is so thick out here, I can't imagine what it must be like for those of you who live even closer to the fires.

I just wanted to know if anyone is concerned about their homes or families, and what you are doing to prepare for a possible evac. I saw a news story today about a couple that tried to "hide in their hot tub" so they didn't have to evacuate and ended up with third degree burns. A house is insured, a life is not. Why they would do that I don't understand.

I can't imagine the horror of watching land around and homes burn to the ground. My prayers go out to everyone who may be affected by this fire.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 8:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My cousin's boyfriend has been working EXTREME overtime trying to fight this fire down there. I live in NC, but I get a lot of updates of what is going on..

Those near these fires are also in my thoughts everyday!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I just came back from the fire camp in Yucaipa, east of LA, where we now have two fires burning (I'm a radio reporter).

So far, the fires in the Inland Empire haven't been too serious...but the Station Fire in LA is getting scarier and scarier.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'm not, but my daughter is in Oakhurst. I very rarely hear from her and I don't have a clue if any of them are close to her. Does anyone know? I've called her and she never picks up, I'm terrified.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I have a home very near the 49 fire in Auburn.
    Several years ago, (2002), we had wildfires surrounding our property, but we were prepared and suffered zero consequences with the exception of evacuation.
    Currently, I'm staying at the coast, so am unaffected at this point.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I grew up in Southern Cali. but live in MN now. These types of fires happen every year at this time out there. It's very common. I can remember several times getting ready to evacuate our pets, horses, belongings etc. It sadly is a part of living out there. It gets so dry that the littlest thing starts a fire then it's all over with! Now I get to deal with 40 below cold and tornadoes in the summer!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Daisy have you called the red cross in your area to see if they can locate her or give you any information on her neighborhood? Maybe they can help you contact her.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 9:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I am, the fire smoke has been horrid. My parents and friends all live in Acton and I know some people who have had to evacuate. Its burned a lot I haven't been to that part of town since saturday.
    kittymommy

Answer by kittymommy at 12:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We used to live in the High desert area of Cali, little town called Ridgecrest. Nowhere near fire ares but I worry SO much about SoCal!!
    IMO, firemen/women are 2nd only to Marines!! They are amazing with what they do. My prayers are with them. I read on the 'puter that one of the men who died over the weekend, has a wife who is carrying their 1st baby. I cannot imagine what she feeling!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009