Why are (some) Pro-Life activists so violent? Why do some murder or attempt murder?

This is not a Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice debate, so please don't turn it into one. I was watching the news today and there have been some incidences in some cities around mine (and one in mine too) at the clinics that perform abortions. There was a doctor shot this last year, one clinic had attempted arson, and several times have workers/nurses/patients been assulted. There is sometimes very hateful grafiti, and when i drive by one of the clinics in my city (it's on a major road), i've heard the most hateful, violent things yelled by some of the protesters.

I don't understand how/why people who value life so much, can be so full of hate, or even worse, try to kill others?

Anyone have any insight why these people behaive like this? Or how they can justify violence/murder, and claim to be "pro-life"?

Just for record, i'm pro-life, but i could never fathem hurting or being hateful to anyone just b/c they are pro-choice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am pro-life but I don't push my beliefs on anyone.. I think the mindset these people have are "kill one, save a thousand." Does it make it right? No.. not one bit. They believe that those performing, or assisting to perform abortion are not innocent (even though it's legal) unlike an unborn child who IS innocent.. Again, i'm not condoning what they do, just maybe shedding a little light on what is going through their heads.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• BECAUSE ANYTHING TAKEN TO EXTREMES ALWAYS TURNS OUT TO BE WORST THAN WHAT THEY ARE FANANTIC ABOUT.

Answer by older at 8:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Older is my pal, and she has a point. But I choose to think of them as though they feel they are fighting a war to save lives. I 1000% (yes, one thousand) disagree with them if it is in the first trimester, and support the right to choose 1000%, but we shouldn't (totally guilty of it) look down our nose at pro lifers. They feel total conviction in their point.

However, I will ask them, do you support welfare and other systems that help raise those unwanted babies that are born?
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It's a religious thing. The love of one's religion creates hate, war and anger.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• They are terrorist.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 9:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ZEALOTS- 1 tweek away from insane, imo-
    I guess you never which individuals will cross the line; minds unable to distinguish between right, wrong, rational and irrational.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• older...huh? and momandvet...huh? can you elaborate?

everyone else, thank you, i think i can see the why & how in what you say.

urkiddingright...good question....think i'll ask that one now, and see what people have for thoughts on that too?

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• "kill one, save a thousand."

Exactly!! They don't think of themselves as fanatical, they think of themselves as some kind of hero (for lack of a better term). They actually view the doctors and assistants as terrorists killing innocent children. At least that's the way it comes across to me. I have no first hand experience with anyone who would take their views to this kind of level.

Am I pro-life? Yes. Do I think they're wrong? I think any extremist or fanatic is wrong on any level.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• They terrorize, harass, harm, and kill people with no regard for law. That makes them terrorist.

Perhaps we need to round them up and send them off to our secret prisons and torture them. After all that is the procedure for suspected terrorist. Right?

^^^This message is to prove a point. Please do not think is honestly the way I feel. I don't think we should be doing it to anyone.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 9:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• IDK, it could be the same reason some animal rights activists are so violent toward people that wear animal skin.
    ERNAProud

Answer by ERNAProud at 9:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2009